Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 6. — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to Captain W. C. Symonds

No. 6.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to Captain W. C. Symonds.

Manukau Land Company. Colonial Secretary's Office, Auckland, 28th October, 1841.

Sir,—

I have had the honour to receive, and lay before His Excellency the Governor, your letter of the 16th instant, as agent for a company styled "the Manukau Land Company," requesting permission to locate the immigrants daily expected to arrive in the barque "Brilliant," holding land orders from that body on land within the limits claimed by the company, under the circumstances of the unsettled state of the claims to laud in New Zealand.

In reply, I am instructed to acquaint you that His Excellency, with the advice of the Executive Council, will sanction the immigrants expected in the "Brilliant" holding permissive occupancy for a period not exceeding two years-upon lands to be pointed out by the Surveyor-General on a portion of land on the Manukau.

I am further directed by His Excellency the Governor to request that, as all persons are entitled to the same advantages as the New Zealand Company, you will furnish a statement of all moneys expended in the purchase of lands in New Zealand from the Native chiefs and others;. in the taking-up, chartering, and despatching ships for the conveyance of immigrants thither; in the maintenance of each immigrant before and during the outward voyage; in the purchase and transmission of stores for the public use of the settlers) collectively, on their arrival; in surveys; in the erection of buildings, or the erection of other works dedicated exclusively to the public service of the settlement; and in other heads of expenditure, or absolute liabilities, unavoidably required or reasonably incurred for the before-mentioned purchases prior to the date of the agreements in November, 1840.

I have, &c.,

Willoughby Shortland.

Captain W.C. Symonds, Agent for the Manukau Land Company.