Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 14. — Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner

No. 14.
Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner.

General.—Reporting on various Claims to Land in his District. Stapleton, Coromandel, 22nd October, 1858.

Sir,—

1.I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of various letters for me to report on. I am now in possession of the proper information to do so.
2.The claims both of Te Mariri and Wiremu Paiawa, although both sent separately, I believe to be the same. They do not, from what I can learn, possess any personal claim, but a tribal one. It was arranged by Mr. C. Davis, when the negotiatious were going on between the Government and Waka, in connection with Te Mariri, Wiremu Paiawa, and the other Natives of the Barrier, that Waka was to give them some part of the payment, which he has not done: it is on that ground that their demand is made. I consider that they are entitled to some compensation, but of course not to anything like what they demand.
3.With regard to the land offered for sale by Onehunga, I believe that she has some claim to it, but at present it would not be advisable to purchase it, as it is disputed, and only a small spot, situated at a distance from any land that has been purchased.
4.Te Hoki's letter about the Waiau and Awakanae land cannot be received as a claim: the only piece that he has a claim to is Ongohe, which is left out of the purchase. He was present when Mr. Heaphy surveyed the land, and gave up all claim to it.
5.Maraea Tiki has no personal claim to the Waiau Block. Maihi is acknowledged by all to be the only person who has any right to sell any part of that block. She must therefore go to him, and make her claim, as it will be impossible for her claims to be considered by any person making the purchase.

I have, &c.,

James Preece.

The Chief Commissioner, Auckland.