Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 19. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. James Preece

No. 19.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. James Preece.

Coromandel—Incompleteness of Deeds prepared by him. Native Land Purchase Department, Auckland, 3rd November, 1859.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 26th September, transmitting deeds of sale of certain blocks therein named, the purchase of which is also reported by you as having been completed.

page 308

I am directed by His Excellency the Governor to observe that the deeds referred to have not been prepared with that care and neatness which is desirable in matters of such importance.

I have therefore to request:—

• 1st. That you will have the goodness to furnish translations of the Maori description of boundaries in the deeds now transmitted, as well as of any hereafter executed.
  • 2nd. That you will in future take care that every deed of final session prepared by you shall be legibly written; shall contain a full description of boundaries; and shall have drawn upon the margin a plan of the land ceded, with the bearings and distances of the boundary lines marked upon it, also all names of places recited in the description of boundaries; the area by survey, with such information as may be sufficient to identify the land, and to indicate the boundaries beyond possibility of misunderstanding hereafter.

I have, &c.,

Thos. H. Smith,
(for Chief Commissioner).

James Preece, Esq., Coromandel.