Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 22. — Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner

No. 22.
Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner.

Mahurangi.—Respecting Karaitiana's claim to that Island. Stapleton, Coromandel, 23rd June, 1860.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter, dated June 8th, with respect to Karaitiana's statement about the island of Mahurangi.

He is wrong as regards the money paid: it was not £30, but £12; and as to his, claim, he has none to that island. The only person except Maihi that has any claim to it, is a man named Enoka. I know that I shall have yet to give him a small sum, but nothing either to Karaitiana or his party.

In reference to the land purchased by me at Opito, Karaitiana came with the Natives to me, and withdrew his claim, and requested me to purchase it from them, which I did for £34, not £40, as stated by him. I am sorry that he cannot confine his statements to truth.

Regarding the Hahei block, I have constantly put them off until you came back, as you were present at their meeting at Kapanga. I am of opinion that something will have to be given to each party: perhaps the best way would be to purchase separately each party's claim.

With respect to the Pungapunga, I am quite ready to make the purchase as soon as Karaitiana comes to me about it.

I have, &c.,

James Preece.

To the Chief Commissioner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.