Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 24. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Preece

No. 24.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Preece.

General.—To defer Surveying Operations until the Summer Time. Land Purchase Department, Auckland, 6th May, 1861.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 26th January last, reporting on two letters addressed to this office by Riria Poau preferring a claim to the Opitonui Block.

With reference to that part of your letter recommending that the survey of the block above mentioned, together with those of Mahakirau and Maumaupaki be proceeded with, I have the honor, by direction of His Excellency the Governor, to inform you that it is considered advisable to defer surveying operations in your district until the ensuing summer; and have to request that the intervening time be employed by you in searching out any additional information that may be procurable upon the titles to the land in question.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

James Preece, Esq., Coromandel.