Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 3. — Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner

No. 3.
Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner.

Whakahore.—Respecting Eruera and Pita's Claims to Land. Stapleton, Coromandel, October 5th, 1857.

Sir,—

1.I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letters, severally dated September 7th, 11th, and September 15th, with their enclosures.
2.I am not able to report any particulars about Eruera's land until I have seen him, but in the meantime I would beg leave to suggest that both his and all other land unpurchased between Tikora's Point at the southern head of the Harbour and the Native residence at the Poka be purchased, reserving for the Natives all the land between the Poka and the Tiki.
3.In your letter of September 11th you state that you had agreed with Pita for all the unpurchased and disputed land from Downing's to Kapanga, and referred him to me for final arrangements. When Pita returned, his party refused to confirm his arrangements, and demanded One hundred pounds (£100). When your letter of September 15th came to hand with Mr. Heaphy's Memorandum, I found that there were other pieces of unpurchased land besides those agreed for by you, situated on the Island of Whanganui at the north-western side of the Harbour. I therefore lost no time in endeavouring to arrange for the final settlement of all their claims both on the Island and on the main, from the entrance of the Harbour to the Kapanga Creek, which they are now willing to do for the sum of £100. Should these terms be accepted by the Government, I think that we shall soon have more land offered for sale. Should those two purchases be made to which I have referred, we shall then be in possession of all the coast of the harbours except the two Native reserves; the inland portions could be procured with less difficulty.
4.With respect to Karaitiana's land, I am not able to come to any definite arrangement, because Mr. Heaphy has not stated what portion of the ninety acres belongs to Karaitiana, and what portion of it is in Wilson's claim. Karaitiana is quite willing to sell, and as he is going to Auckland it may, perhaps, be arranged whilst he is there. The piece of ninety acres beyond Calloway's claim I will attend to as soon as it is practicable to do so.
5.In reference to Motutapere, I beg to suggest that it be made a Native reserve for the following reasons:—first, because the purchase is not a good one, it never having been completed, only a few articles were given as a deposit, the greater number mentioned were not given, nor was the principal owner ever consulted; secondly, because the island itself is not of any importance except for Natives; thirdly, because it is the only island that remains in Native possession of that tribe, and is the only place they will have to land when fishing or when at sea, and, therefore, of great importance to them.
6.Waitataramoa is, I believe, a good purchase, and was sold by Webster or party to a man named James Demby, who now resides in Freeman's Bay. I was not aware that it had reverted to Government. Webster's purchase at Waiau, mentioned by Mr. Heaphy, was never proved. I was in Court when it was dismissed by Commissioner Richmond: the land had not been purchased, only the timber. The only valid purchase up the Waiau is that claimed by W. B. Moores, that, as a gold field, is, I believe, of great value. The party that are at work on the land are finding gold to a large extent. I believe that Morris would transfer his claim to Government for a trifling compensation. They would then purchase when offered the surrounding land, which would make an available gold field. I am convinced from the increasing quantity of gold found that before long gold will be found in large masses, therefore no expense should be spared at this time in procuring land.page 301
7.I am not aware to what purchases of Webster's at Kennedy's Bay and Mercury Bay Mr. Heaphy refers. There were no purchases made at Kennedy's Bay but one, made by Kenuedy, who was afterwards killed. I am not as yet aware whether that purchase is a good one or not. I will make enquiry, and report on it as soon as I get the necessary information.
8.The only purchase made in Mercury Bay was made by Gordon Browne, who has long since been dead. I believe that it is both an extensive and valid one, I don't know who is the present claimant to it. The only purchase that Webster made in that part was part of the Mercury Island. The Natives will be ready to point out the boundaries any time in November, if they should first receive a week's notice, they will then be ready to arrange for the complete sale of the island.

I have, &c.,

James Preece.

To the Chief Commissioner, Land Purchasing Department.