Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure — Mr. James Mackay, jun., to the Superintendent of Auckland

Enclosure
Mr. James Mackay, jun., to the Superintendent of Auckland.

New Zealand Native Land Agency, Auckland, 20th March, 1872.

Sir,—

Referring to your request that I would inform you as to the progress made by me in purchasing and negotiating for the purchase of Native lands on the Coromandel Peninsula, I have the honor to inform you that no purchase has as yet been completed by me. The surveys and negotiations for the Waikawau and Cape Colville Blocks are in a forward state, and I anticipate being able to acquire these at a price not exceeding 2s. per acre. I have made considerable advances on account page 313of these purchases, having either paid for or made myself privately responsible for goods and stores amounting to £1,367 1s. 5d. I have made application to the Agent for the General Government for an advance to enable me to recoup myself the sums actually paid from private funds, and to pay the other amounts for which I have become responsible, and have as yet received no reply to my communication, which was made on the 4th instant.

A sum of £5,000 would probably accomplish this now, and as the area of the Waikawau Block is estimated by the surveyor, Mr. O. M. Creagh, to be about 100,000 acres; and the Cape Colville Block is estimated by Mr. Tole to be about 50,000 acres. This would be a very desirable purchase, being only 8d. per acre.

I have made arrangements for the survey and purchase of the Whangamata and Hikutaia Blocks, but have deferred entering further on these at present, until the completion of the telegraph line through that district, for fear of any complication arising to delay that important public work.

Unless the General Government can make some alteration in financial matters, so as to make it as easy to purchase for the Crown as for private persons, the acquirement of these lands will be tedious and difficult. The great point in buying land from Natives is to be able to have money at command to take advantage of favourable opportunities like the present.

Dr. Pollen being absent from Auckland, and not being likely to return for some time, and as it is impossible without funds to proceed further with those negotiations, I would beg to request that you will be as good as to advance the sum of £2,000 to enable me to conclude these purchases, which are a matter of great importance to the Province, and to make provision for further advances, if necessary, not exceeding the sum of £5,000 above mentioned, and which advances I think you are justified in making, pending the completion of the General Government arrangements for supplying the necessary funds.

I have, &c.,

James Mackay, Junr.,
Agent for Land Purchase, New Zealand Government.

His Honor the Superintendent, Auckland.