Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 4. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Preece

No. 4.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Preece.

Big Mercury Island.—Respecting offer of Land.Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office,Auckland,6th October, 1857.s

Sir,—

One of the principal claimants to a portion of the Big Mercury Island, a son of Tararoa's, has called at this office to dispose of the claims of a section of the Natives living at Mercury Bay to that island, and he expresses a wish that the land should be surveyed without delay. It is important that this should be done, and I have, therefore, to request your attention to it as soon as possible.

I enclose a letter from the Natives on this subject for your information, also a copy of a Deed of Sale from the Natives to Mr. William Webster, and a sketch of the island, exhibiting the portions of the Different Natives who have claims to it. The aggregate estimate of the area of the island, as indicated on the margin of the said Deed, is, of course, greatly exaggerated.

If necessary, a surveyor will be detached to accompany you to Mercury Island, but as the Natives appear desirous to alienate the whole of it, and as they admit that a large portion of it has already been sold, probably the necessity and expense of sending a surveyor might be obviated by your paying a visit to the island, and obtaining final surrender of the entire island, making such an equitable division afterwards of the purchase money as the relative claims of each tribe might entitle them to.

I am anxious to hear from you, at your earliest convenience, as to the steps you have taken to accomplish this duty.

The price can be decided when you have made all preliminary arrangements for obtaining the cession of the island from the Natives; and your report should indicate, as nearly as possible, the amount for which it can be purchased.

You will be good enough to forward to this office a requisition for the amount of any contingent expenses you may be subjected to, such as the wages of Native attendants, &c., while engaged in the performance of this service.

One of the principal objects ts be kept in view, in completing this purchase at a moderate cost, is that of its being likely to lead to other and more important purchases on the main land.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Land Purchase Commissioner.

James Preece, Esq., Cormandel.