Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 12. — Mr. James Mackay to the Under Secretary, Native Department

No. 12.
Mr. James Mackay to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

Respectiug Land Purchases in Thames District, &c. Auckland, 4th July, 1876.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith a return of land purchase transactions, conducted through my agency, from 1st July, 1875, to 30th June, 1876.

Owing to delays at Wellington, caused by my being summoned to appear before several Parliamentary Committees, and subsequently from detention there in arranging with the Government respecting land purchases, I was unable to enter into any negotiations between the 1st July and the page 339 31st December, 1875. Since that time I have devoted the whole of my available time to arranging questions about the Piako, Waihou East and West, Waitoa, Te Aroha, and Waiharakeke Blocks, and in directing the surveys and settling disputes about the internal divisions of those blocks.

The survey of the Piako Block involved the arranging and laying off on the ground of the eastern boundary of the Waikato confiscated lands from Pukorokoro, on the shores of the Hauraki Gulf, to Pukemoremore, near Cambridge, which has proved to be a most difficult task in consequence of the continued interruption of the Surveyors by disaffected Natives living at the Moerangi and Tauhei settlements, near the edge of the Whitekahu (so-called Piako) Swamp. I am, however, happy to say that this line has been completed throughout.

As the lands suitable for settlement, and which are so urgently required by the population of the Thames District, are, with the exception of Oninemuri, all included within the blocks previously mentioned, I have deemed it advisable to let other purchases, which were nearer completion, stand over for the present, in order to meet, as speedily as possible, the wishes of those persons who are anxious to become permanent settlers.

I have, &c.,

James Mackay.

The Under Secretary, Native Department, Wellington.