Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 2. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan (Acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Hay

No. 2.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan (Acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Hay.

Hauraki.—Offer of Land for sale. Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 2nd February, 1858.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith a copy of a letter from Ngatai, Hoete, and other Natives, offering to give up a block of land situated between Whangamata and Katikati, to enable them to extricate themselves from debt; and am directed by His Excellency to request that you will give your immediate attention to this offer, and at once proceed to ascertain and report to the Government whether the parties offering the land are its acknowledged owners; and whether it is probable they will be able to negotiate with the Government for its transfer, without serious opposition on the part of other claimants.

If it appears to you that this offer can be entertained by the Government, you will be good enough to proceed without delay to look at the land, accompanied by the Natives, and survey or perambulate the boundaries.

I am directed also to request that you will state whether it is your opinion that the Government can safely make any advances on this land.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan, D. C.,
For the Chief Commissioner.

G. W. Drummond Hay, Esq.,
District Commissioner and Surveyor, Piako.
P.S.—I have further to inform you that the Chief Hira Kake had addressed a letter to His Excellency, objecting to the sale of the lands offered by Ngatai and Hoete; a copy of which, together with a tracing of the land in question, is enclosed.

John Rogan, D. C.