Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 20.]

No. 20.

Mr. H. T. Kemp to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Piako.—The same. Auckland, 7th August, 1872.

Sir,—

Agreeably with your instructions, careful inquiry has been made into the several outstanding claims on the, Waitoa and Piako Blocks. The result has been that, in order to meet the different claims, to give general satisfaction, and to make the awards fair and reasonable to the Government and to the Natives, the sum of One thousand pounds has been fixed to cover all claims connected there with. Enclosed herewith is the schedule submitted for your approval, as well as a requisition for the amount trequired.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp.

The Hon. the Native Minister.

Enclosure 1.
Mr. E. W. Puckey to the Civil Commissioner, Auckland.

Native Office, Thames, 13th July, 1872.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith schedule of proposed payments to complete outstanding purchases—Piako and Waitoa Blocks—a balance of £713, according to Mr. Mackay's arrangements (excepting recent advances to Ema Te Aouru of £50, and to H. Tipa of £20). W. H. Taipari and myself have gone fully into the claims not considered by Mr. Mackay, and we think a payment of £40 to Wata Hangata Hiri Haua, Matini Potara, and Rakena Raukuru, fair and reasonable to extinguish' their interests. The Ngatimaru have a claim, and we propose to extinguish it by a payment of £150 also to give the Ngatipaoa an additional payment of £97, thus bringing the entire amount to be paid, inclusive of advances above referred to, £1,000.

The schedule will explain these amounts more fully.

I have, &c.,

E. W. Puckey.

The Civil Commissioner, Auckland.

Enclosure 2.
Schedule of Proposed Payments, Piako and Waitoa Blocks.

Waitoa £
H. Tipa 150
H. Patene 200
Riki Paka and others 200
*Hoia Hana 10
*Wata Hangata 10
*Rakena Raukura 10
*Matini Potara 10
Piako
Ngatimaiu claimants through Kopirimau and Rihi Te Kauwae 150
T. Tukere 20
Te Paea Otatu 70
Hemi Tahatika 20
Wikitoria H. Taipari 10
Hanata Puao 13
Mita Te Ratu 30
Additional payment to Ngatipaoa 97
£1,000

* Claims not taken into consideration by Mr. Mackay.