Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — Mr. Commissioner Hay to the Chief Commissioner

page 332

No. 8.
Mr. Commissioner Hay to the Chief Commissioner.

Thames.—The Natives prefer to sell their Lands in small Blocks. Koupu, 31st August, 1858.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge receipt of letters dated 29th and 30th June, 8th, 9th, and 10th July.

In reply to those referring to Riria's claim, I have the honor to state, for the information of the Government, that the land has not been surveyed, nor have I entered into negotiation for it.

A small Piece of land was offered by Unahi (Wi Koka) near Waikaka, but not approved of by me, as I considered this and several other small claims had better be purchased in one block, or not at all.

It is impossible to complete the purchase of small pieces of land under a thousand acres, unless at the rate of 2s. or 3s. per acre, and the Natives would like to sell separately as they think, otherwise, that they do not get the full benefit of their claims. They may consent at the commencement of the negotiation to 16d. or 1s. per acre, but when the sum paid to them does not exceed their very sanguine expectations, disputes arise; and if one Native complains, his friends readily join in his cry. The greatest drawback and source of contention I have met with has been the money advanced on small blocks, the Natives comparing the size of the blocks, and accusing me as the cause of their not obtaining higher prices.

They also exclaim that they never have anything to show for their land after it is sold, as—except in the case of one or two influential men who may retain large sums—the mass of the payment is divided amongst the tribe in trifling sums, which are spent, perhaps, immediately, and in a few months they regret having ceded their land.

The Ngatimaru and Ngatitamatera are the only tribes that can sell blocks of any size in this district, and with them I have to fight my way from claimant to claimant until a good sized block is procured. I speak, of course, of arrangements previous to the sale by Ngatai, as since then there is very little use attempting to purchase.

The Ngatimaru have always been opposed to selling their lands, but their opposition, without being violent, is more determined than ever. There have been visitors from the Waikato amongst them lately, and from what I hear they were sent to try and confirm the Ngatimaru in their system of retaining their lands. I attempted to negotiate with them the other day for land on the West bank near the Aroha, but was told to consider their decision as final; that they would never sell a single acre to the Government south of the mouths of Piako and Waihou. I told them, that, though of course their land was their own, I did not recognise their right to retain land which they do not, nor never will, cultivate, and part of which is debateable land, so that by selling their claims there they would do away with one source of dispute.

I have been for some time collecting a party who are inclined to sell; but I do not wish their lands to be offered until the old land claims in this river have been settled.

I have delayed several purchases until Mr. Dillon Bell arrived, as they were all connected with the old land claims.

In negotiating with the Natives, I attempt to point out to them the most advantageous and substantial form that may be given to payments they may receive; for instance, by suggesting a flour-mill, and pointing out a site. I have succeeded in obtaining a small block of 4,000 acres or there-abouts; there has been a dispute about it, but it is not one that will interfere with the sale, and will be settled by Te Kopara immediately he returns to the Piako.

I have been doing all I can to get up to the Ngatihiaua boundary, as the border land belongs to a hapu, who were anxious to sell when the Hangawera Block was sold, and who are willing to sell now. The King party are, of course, using every exertion to retain all Native lands, and I am inclined to believe Tioriori does all in his power to persuade Natives from selling. If the Government look upon the money advanced to Ngatai as a premium for the cession of such land as may hereafter be obtained, well and good; otherwise his share would not be £50.

These advances also contributed towards placing me in a false position with the Natives. They look upon offering land to me as an unnecessary step, only causing delay in the payment of what money may be advanced; they are also more inclined to believe the statements made by Natives whom I may have had occasion to thwart or oppose in any way. The Government cannot expect me to succeed in purchasing land, especially in a disaffected district, if the Natives see that the power of recommending the proper persons to receive payment is taken out of my hands. A Native presenting himself at the Native Department to ask for an advance is a very different being when he returns to have his land surveyed, or, having been disappointed in getting money, to give as much trouble as he can. The Natives talk sometimes as if it were a personal favour letting me survey.

The Ngatimaru have desired me to state to the Government that, as they put in a claim for their land at Waiheke, and received intimation from the Government to the effect that care would be taken to give them due warning when due payment was to be made for that island, they look to the Government for payment, as their claims seem to have been overlooked. This, and one or two other points on which they are sore, tend to strengthen their disposition to retain their land.

My time is fully taken up by disputes and complaints that I am obliged to listen to, as I cannot get away from them.

The extract from my diary I forward to-morrow, as the vessel is to start, and I have not time to complete it.

I have, &c.,

G. W. Drummond Hay,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner.