Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Extract from Report, dated 14th June, 1853

Extract from Report, dated 14th June, 1853.

"Having performed the foregoing part of my instructions, I next proceeded up the Waikato with Haimona Paetae and others to mark the boundaries of the land lately sold by him and the chief Wetere, known as Mataheka; on arrival there, we found that a feast had just taken place at Whangamarino, at which a large number of the Waikato natives were present, under their chief Te Wharepu, and fierce discussions have occurred relative to the dispute among them about Waerenga, a larger tract of country extending from the Waikare lake to the Thames.

page 349

The chiefs had at this meeting unanimously agreed to lay a tapu on this district, extending from the Mangatawhiri on the west to the frith of the Thames for the purpose of preventing any individual members of the tribes selling any portion of this country as they think that individual members make unjust claims to lands for the purpose of obtaining them for sale. They assembled to meet us to the number of two or three hundred men, and appeared very firm to their purpose so much so, that I think any attempt at present to acquire this tract would not be attended with success, and only tend to foment their quarrels among themselves, which are now assuming a serious aspect."