Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — W. N. Searancke, Esq., to the Chief Commissioner

No. 8.
W. N. Searancke, Esq., to the Chief Commissioner.

Ramarama.Reporting Settlement of disputed Boundary. Mangatawhiri, 25th July, 1857.

Sir,

In compliance with your instructions of the 23rd ultimo, on which I had the honor to report, and instructions since received from the Hon. the Colonial Treasurer, together with the sum of Two hundred pounds (£200), I have the honor to report as follows:—That on my former visit, the Pokeno Natives, owners of the land on the Ramarama boundary, agreed to accept of Two hundred pounds (£200) as full payment for the land (marked on plan). There were some natives absent whose consent at the time I was unable to obtain. They have on my reopening the negotiation thrown difficulties in my way, which I have succeeded in overcoming by payment of the sum of Two hundred pounds (£200), and a further sum promised of Ten pounds (£10) on my return to Auckland. I trust that, though I have exceeded the sum previously agreed upon, the excess of Ten pounds (£10) will be excused, considering the importance of having a proper settlement of this boundary, by which the frontage to the Mangatawhiri road is secured. I have the honor to forward the deed and sketch of the boundary as arranged by me.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searanoke.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Chief Commissioner, Auckland.