Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — Report on the disposition of the natives in whaingaroa and the neighbouring districts with reference to the sale of land

No. 7.
Report on the disposition of the natives in whaingaroa and the neighbouring districts with reference to the sale of land.

Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

The Natives in the vicinity of Whaingaroa are improving rapidly in industry, having extended their cultivation last season considerably beyond any previous year. One mill is now finished, the sole property of the Natives, and preparations are being made for another to be completed during the winter. There are several small wooden houses being built for the purpose of establishing Native stores. The feeling of these Natives with reference to the sales of land to the Government is unanimous, and when the existing arrangements with them are concluded, the Government will have purchased nearly 100,000 acres. That they are friendly disposed towards the Government and the settlers may be gathered from the fact that they are anxious for a Resident Magistrate to be placed in the district, for the purpose of settling according to British law any differences which may arise between them and the Europeans.

West Coast.

The Natives occupying the land between Whaingaroa and Waikato are inclined to dispose of a portion of that district, and it is probable, as soon as the land question at Whaingaroa is finally arranged, they will offer for sale land in detached blocks amounting to 100,000 acres. The land in that district is of an inferior description, owing to the very undulating nature of the country. I am of opinion that it may be purchased at a rate of not less than 1s. 6d. per acre.

Aotea and Kawhia.

The Natives in Aotea are divided on the subject of the land question, and the majority of the people at Kawhia and Waikawau are strenuously opposed to the sale of all lands in that district, except a small portion situated on the sea-coast, on which an instalment has been paid by Mr. McLean. Beyond their unwillingness to dispose of land, I am not aware that they are in any way unfriendly towards the Government.

page 355

Waipa.

I am not in a position to state whether the tribes in the interior, between the Waikato and Mokau Rivers, are willing to cede their lands, or that they are friendly disposed towards the Government, as my duties have as yet confined me to the survey and negotiation of land along the sea-coast.

J. Rogan.

March 29th, 1856.