Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 11. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

No. 11.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Kawhia.Description of the purchased Block called Harihari. Auckland, 23rd January, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose a sketch plan of land situated on the West Coast, between Kawhia and Marakopa, called the Harihari Block. The boundaries of this land were perambulated by me in company with the principal Native owners in February last. A sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) was paid by you to the chief Hone Pumipi and others on account on the 4th February, 1854, which amount is included in the Return to the House of Representatives dated 4th July, 1856.

The land within the block near the coast line is covered with high fern and a light bush, with a small quantity of forest in the valleys; the extent of this description of land may be stated at one thousand (1,000) acres, which may be considered adapted for a little run.

The inland portion of the block is an inferior description of land, being of a very rugged character, and covered with dense forest.

It will be seen on reference to the original deed or receipt for Two hundred pounds (£200) already alluded to that an arrangement was made with the Natives by which they were to receive Three hundred pounds (£300) additional after the land should be examined by a surveyor, but the quantity of land which the Natives represented to have sold to the Government, on the execution of that document, was much in excess of the actual quantity, which is nearly 4,000 acres.

An arrangement may now be made with the Natives for the final alienation of their claims to this land for Two hundred pounds (£200), which, in addition to the first payment, will be at the rate of 2s. per acre.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
0Chief Commissioner, Auckland.