Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 12. — Donald McLean, Esq., to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland

No. 12.
Donald McLean, Esq., to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.

Mokau.Report of visit to purchase land. Mokau, March 27th, 1850.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report to you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief, that I have visited this district at the request of Ta Kerei and other chiefs, who are anxious to dispose of a tract of land north of the Mokau River, including the Awakino, and extending some miles in a northerly direction towards Waikawao.

2nd. Yesterday I had a meeting of the Mokau Natives, and I was glad to observe that they are making considerable improvement under the tuition of the Wesleyan missionary stationed at this place, and that they generally express a desire for the settlement of Europeans among them.

page 359

3rd. As yet no offers have been made to dispose of the land on the banks of the Mokau, which would be most valuable, from having a good navigable river for vessels of 40 and 50 tons, with abundance of coal, limestone; timber, and flax, which is made into tolerable rope at the Mission Station, together with several flats of rich land well adapted for agriculture.

4th. It is probable, however, as the Natives are gradually becoming sensible of the advantages of having Europeans among them, that they will, in the course of the present negotiations, be induced to sell such portions of the Mokau as they do not require for their own present or future wants.

5th. To-morrow I intend proceeding with Ta Kerei and a party of Natives up the Awakino River to examine the interior, and ascertain, when looking over the country, whether limestone and coal can be easily procured there.

6th. During the present visit I shall use my best endeavours to countenance and encourage the friendly disposition of the Natives, and make such arrangements with the chiefs as will secure and facilitate the acquisition of the district, when His Excellency may feel disposed to authorize me to do so.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Inspector of Police.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, &c.,
Auckland.