Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

G. Sieson Cooper, Esq., New Plymouth, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

G. Sieson Cooper, Esq., New Plymouth, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mokau.Enclosing Copy of Report on the Mokau Land. Taranaki, 31st October, 1852.

Sir,

Adverting to my letter No. 9, of the 19th September last, enclosing a copy of the Civil Secretary's letter to Mr. McLean, of the 23rd of August, directing that officer to report upon the offer of land made by the Natives of Mokau, I have now the honor to forward to you the copy of the report which, in obedience to the instructions of the Governor-in-Chief, I have addressed to the Civil Secretary at Wellington.

page 360

The enclosed report is so comprehensive that I do not think it necessary to state anything further in this letter in reference to it, excepting that the letter from Taonui, which I received yesterday from Mr. W. Halse, to whom it had been referred by His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, shows that the statement of Ngataua (see paragraph 5 of the enclosed letter) was untrue; for although the places named by Taonui are not at Mokau, still his letter proves his wish to sell land, and this fully accounts for Ngataua's refusal to allow me to go up the river.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, &c., &c., &c.,
Auckland.