Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 16. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Cooper

No. 16.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Cooper.

Auakino.Informing him of the purchase of land from Takerei. Mokau, 29th March, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acquaint you that the land offered for sale by Takerei has been purchased for a sum of Five hundred pounds, and another payment of Thirty Pounds to be made to the Ngatirarua tribe residing at Nelson.

These payments include the whole amount that the Natives are to receive for this purchase; the boundaries of which commence south at Purapura, thence along the sea coast in a northerly direction to Herekomako, and inland to the Manganui River till it crosses the Awakino, and thence along a boundary line that strikes the line running inland from Purapura. Any applications by Natives at New Plymouth, either for payment or reserves within the above purchase, you should not in any way recognise.

The best course, therefore, will be for you to refer them to Takerei or myself, stating, as your opinion, that nothing further can be paid, as the whole of the amount has been given to Natives here, who object to any other payment being made, particularly to the New Plymouth Natives.

I am aware that several applications will be made to you in reference to this land, therefore I take the earliest opportunity of communicating with you on the subject.

A copy of the Deed of Sale is being prepared by Mr. Rogan, which I hope may be finished, that it may be sent to you by this day's mail-carrier.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Land Commissioner.

George S. Cooper, Esq., J.P.,
New Plymouth.