Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

page 357

No. 5.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Aotea.Survey of Te Mata Reserve. Whaingaroa, 8th October, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acquaint you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that a sketch survey of a portion of land, situated within the Native Reserve, called the Mata in this district has been made, which contains about Four hundred and fifty acres (450).

Payments of Thirty-five pounds (£35), and Seventy-two pounds (£72) have been made to the Native claimants for this purchase on the 6th and 31st May, 1854. The land is of good quality, having a Native track leading through it from the harbour, capable of forming a road by deviating slightly inland.

There are a few acres of fern land which are in the occupation of a settler, having been purchased by him from the Government, and the remaining part is forest. I am requested by Te Waka, the principal claimant, to make application to you for a sum in addition to that already paid. At the same time I informed him there was no probability of your acceding to his application.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Commissioner, Auckland.