Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[XIII.—Aotea, Kawhia, and Mokau Districts.]

page 356

XIII.—Aotea, Kawhia, and Mokau Districts.

No. 1.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Aotea.Survey of Ruapuke completed. Whaingaroa, 23rd August, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that a survey of a portion of land, amounting to about 6,000 acres, which was offered for sale by the chief Wiremu Nera and some of the Aotea Natives, has been executed, and I have offered a sum of Three hundred pounds (£300) in payment for the land, which the Natives have unanimously declined. They wish me to state that the lowest sum they are disposed to take for this land is Seven hundred pounds (£700).

As I have no authority for paying such amount for land, the greater part of which is of an inferior description, I have agreed with the Natives to refer the question for your consideration.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Commissioner, Auckland.

No. 2.

Aotea.Ruapuke Absentees not to be paid separately. Whaingaroa, 24th August, 1855.

Sir,

With reference to your letter of the 3rd instant informing me that a Native named Te Tana, of the Ngatimahanga tribe, requests that payment for portions of land—namely, Te Waimaori, Aotea, Ruapuke, Rahinui, and Te Hutiwai—should be made in Auckland, I have the honor to state in reply that a portion of the land alluded to is included in a survey of 6,000 acres recently made, and the resident Natives request that no payment may be made to absentees, as these claims will be satisfied out of a sum of Seven hundred pounds (£700), should you consent to the payment of the same.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,

No. 3.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Rogan.

Ruapuke.To report more fully as to the price fixed for this Block. Land Purchase Department,
Auckland, September 12th, 1855.

Sir,

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 24th ultimo, in reference to Te Tana's claim, and to the payment demanded by the Natives for the block on which that claim is included. In reference to the first point, as to a payment being made to Te Tana at Auckland, I am adverse to such a course, if it can be avoided, as I consider it preferable that the Natives should, in all instances, be paid publicly in the district where the land is situated, and this course should not be deviated from, except in particular cases, when there would be justice in adopting a different course. In every case the Natives of the district should sanction the making of the payment elsewhere.

With reference to the second point, the price demanded by the Natives, I must trust very much to your own discretion, having due regard to the public interests, as to whether you should exceed the amount to which you were limited by the instructions issued to you at Waipa. I should be glad to have your own opinion, for the information of the Governor, more fully on this subject before proceeding further in the matter.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Principal Commissioner.

J. Rogan, Esq., District Commissioner.

No. 4.

Aotea.Offer for Ruapuke Block accepted. Whaingaroa, 8th October, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 12th ultimo, in reference to Te Tana's claim, and the demand made by the Natives for the block of land near Aotea, and to state in reply, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that the Natives have recently agreed to accept the sum of Three hundred pounds (£300), previously offered for the land reported in my letter of the 23rd August last. I have, therefore, to request instructions as to whether I should pay the above mentioned sum to the Native claimants from the money in my possession belonging to the New Zealand Government.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
page 357

No. 5.

Aotea.Survey of Te Mata Reserve. Whaingaroa, 8th October, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acquaint you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that a sketch survey of a portion of land, situated within the Native Reserve, called the Mata in this district has been made, which contains about Four hundred and fifty acres (450).

Payments of Thirty-five pounds (£35), and Seventy-two pounds (£72) have been made to the Native claimants for this purchase on the 6th and 31st May, 1854. The land is of good quality, having a Native track leading through it from the harbour, capable of forming a road by deviating slightly inland.

There are a few acres of fern land which are in the occupation of a settler, having been purchased by him from the Government, and the remaining part is forest. I am requested by Te Waka, the principal claimant, to make application to you for a sum in addition to that already paid. At the same time I informed him there was no probability of your acceding to his application.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,

No. 6.

Aotea.Forwarding Deed of Sale for Ruapuke Block. Whaingaroa, 4th February, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith a deed of sale for land situated near Aotea, which was executed by the Ngatinaho and Ngatimahanga Natives, and for which the sum of Two hundred and ninety pounds (£290) was paid on the 2nd instant. An instalment of Ten pounds (£10) having been paid by you to the Native Hemi Matene on the 14th April, 1854.

With reference to Te Tana's claim mentioned in your letter of the 3rd August last, the Natives have set apart Ten pounds (£10) in satisfaction thereof to be deposited with the Native Hakopa of the Ngatimahanga tribe, who is Te Tana's representative, which amount will be forwarded to Auckland for his acceptance.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Chief Commissioner, Auckland.

No. 7.

Aotea.Has concluded the Purchase of Te Mata, Native Reserve. Auckland, 18th June, 1858.

Sir,

Referring to a correspondence between the Land Purchase Officer, and the Ngatimahanga Natives (58,435), wherein an arrangement has been entered into with Te Waka for the purchase of the remaining portion of the Mata Reserve for the sum of One hundred pounds (£100), I have the honor to state, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that I proceeded by appointment to Waiuku on the 13th instant, and paid over the above-named amount to Te Waka, when the Deed of Cession was executed (which is enclosed herewith), together with a description of boundaries; and I am not aware of any objection to the proclamation of this land in the usual manner, as the Native title has been extinguished.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Chief Land Purchase Commissioner, Auckland.

No. 8.
Waipa Chiefs to the Governor-in-Chief, Sir George Grey, K.C.B.

Kawhia.Offering to Sell certain Lands. Rangiawhia, 8th March, 1849.

To the Governor,

Salutations to you! Great is my love to you. Myself and Hoani Papita are going to you about Kawhia. On our arrival we will go immediately on board ship to sell Kawhia. Potatau (Te Wherowhero) will be with us. With Potatau will be the true words. This is correct, because we have spoken to you about Kawhia, Waiharakeke we wish you to see (the place). That is all. You purchase our land, Nuitona's, mine, and Anatipa Takarei's. That is all I have to say to you. We are on our way.

Hoani Papita,
Tarei Pokuru.

page 358

No. 9.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Commissioner.

Kawhia.Land Surveys to be Discontinued. Colonial Secretary's Office, Auckland, 6th March, 1856.

Sir,—

As great excitement seems to exist amongst the Natives at Kawhia, relative to the Government purchasing and surveying land in that district, I am directed by His Excellency the Governor to request you will be good enough to withdraw all surveys being carried on under your department from that district.

I have, &c.,

W. Gisborne,
(for the Colonial Secretary).

Mr. Commissioner McLean,
Land Purchase Department.

No. 10.
Chiefs Te Wherowhero and Te Kanawa to the Chief Commissioner.

Kawhia.Offering for Sale certain undisputed Lands. Kawhia, 7th July, 1856.

Friend Mr. McLean!

I will inform you—that is, the Governor and yourself—what blocks of land are free from contending claims—namely, the lands having an undisputed title, which we are now desirous of selling to you. Let those lands which are disputed be excluded; let them be settled by the survey.

Commencing at Pohonui, the boundary runs to Whatitiri-ka-papa; thence to Marutaha, to Parori, Waipara, Huka, Wharawharanui, Te Rete, Pakarikari, Hetai, Hawaiki, Te Okiokinga, Tokitangohia, Pukekohai, Kohemaru, Opohoi, Waitete, Tahurikotua, thence to Oraka, Tikowiwi, Mataora, Te Komiti; and meeting again at Wharawharanui. These are the lands which are free from conflicting claims. We therefore request that you will give us the payment for these lands.

Kihirini Kanawa.
Potatau Wherowhero.

No. 11.

Kawhia.Description of the purchased Block called Harihari. Auckland, 23rd January, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose a sketch plan of land situated on the West Coast, between Kawhia and Marakopa, called the Harihari Block. The boundaries of this land were perambulated by me in company with the principal Native owners in February last. A sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) was paid by you to the chief Hone Pumipi and others on account on the 4th February, 1854, which amount is included in the Return to the House of Representatives dated 4th July, 1856.

The land within the block near the coast line is covered with high fern and a light bush, with a small quantity of forest in the valleys; the extent of this description of land may be stated at one thousand (1,000) acres, which may be considered adapted for a little run.

The inland portion of the block is an inferior description of land, being of a very rugged character, and covered with dense forest.

It will be seen on reference to the original deed or receipt for Two hundred pounds (£200) already alluded to that an arrangement was made with the Natives by which they were to receive Three hundred pounds (£300) additional after the land should be examined by a surveyor, but the quantity of land which the Natives represented to have sold to the Government, on the execution of that document, was much in excess of the actual quantity, which is nearly 4,000 acres.

An arrangement may now be made with the Natives for the final alienation of their claims to this land for Two hundred pounds (£200), which, in addition to the first payment, will be at the rate of 2s. per acre.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
0Chief Commissioner, Auckland.

No. 12.
Donald McLean, Esq., to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.

Mokau.Report of visit to purchase land. Mokau, March 27th, 1850.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report to you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief, that I have visited this district at the request of Ta Kerei and other chiefs, who are anxious to dispose of a tract of land north of the Mokau River, including the Awakino, and extending some miles in a northerly direction towards Waikawao.

2nd. Yesterday I had a meeting of the Mokau Natives, and I was glad to observe that they are making considerable improvement under the tuition of the Wesleyan missionary stationed at this place, and that they generally express a desire for the settlement of Europeans among them.

page 359

3rd. As yet no offers have been made to dispose of the land on the banks of the Mokau, which would be most valuable, from having a good navigable river for vessels of 40 and 50 tons, with abundance of coal, limestone; timber, and flax, which is made into tolerable rope at the Mission Station, together with several flats of rich land well adapted for agriculture.

4th. It is probable, however, as the Natives are gradually becoming sensible of the advantages of having Europeans among them, that they will, in the course of the present negotiations, be induced to sell such portions of the Mokau as they do not require for their own present or future wants.

5th. To-morrow I intend proceeding with Ta Kerei and a party of Natives up the Awakino River to examine the interior, and ascertain, when looking over the country, whether limestone and coal can be easily procured there.

6th. During the present visit I shall use my best endeavours to countenance and encourage the friendly disposition of the Natives, and make such arrangements with the chiefs as will secure and facilitate the acquisition of the district, when His Excellency may feel disposed to authorize me to do so.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Inspector of Police.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, &c.,
Auckland.

No. 13.

G. S. Cooper, Esq., to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.

Mokau.Transmitting reply from Civil Secretary. Taranaki, September 19th, 1852.

Sir,

In reference to Mr. McLean's letter to the Civil Secretary of the 9th ultimo, upon the subject of the offer made by the Natives of Mokau to dispose of a block of land in that district, a copy of which letter was enclosed in Mr. McLean's letter to you of the 10th of August, I have now the honor to forward, for the information of His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, a copy of the Civil Secretary's reply.

Survey of boundaries being made.

I have to report at the same time that a surveyor is now at Mokau engaged in examining the boundaries of the land offered, and that it is my intention to proceed thither, in company with the Commissioner of Crown Lands, the moment that my presence in this settlement can be dispensed with for a few days without detriment to the public service.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper.

Auckland.

Enclosure
The Civil Secretary, Wellington, to Mr. Commissioner McLean.

Mokau.Report on this District to be supplied. Civil Secretary's Office,
Wellington, 23rd August, 1852.

Sir,—

I am directed by His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 9th instant, reporting that the Native chiefs at Mokau have expressed themselves desirous of selling certain land situated in that district to the Government; and, in reply, I am to inform you that before His Excellency can convey to you his sanction for purchasing the lands in question, it will be necessary for you to report their extent, capabilities, &c., and the price for which they can be procured.

This report should be furnished after you have examined the Mokau District, and a copy of it should be forwarded to His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor of New Ulster, in whose Province Taranaki is situated.

I have, &c.,

Alfred Domett,
Civil Secretary.

Donald MacLean, Esq.,
Commissioner for Extinguishing Native Titles to Land.

No. 14.

G. Sieson Cooper, Esq., New Plymouth, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mokau.Enclosing Copy of Report on the Mokau Land. Taranaki, 31st October, 1852.

Sir,

Adverting to my letter No. 9, of the 19th September last, enclosing a copy of the Civil Secretary's letter to Mr. McLean, of the 23rd of August, directing that officer to report upon the offer of land made by the Natives of Mokau, I have now the honor to forward to you the copy of the report which, in obedience to the instructions of the Governor-in-Chief, I have addressed to the Civil Secretary at Wellington.

page 360

The enclosed report is so comprehensive that I do not think it necessary to state anything further in this letter in reference to it, excepting that the letter from Taonui, which I received yesterday from Mr. W. Halse, to whom it had been referred by His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, shows that the statement of Ngataua (see paragraph 5 of the enclosed letter) was untrue; for although the places named by Taonui are not at Mokau, still his letter proves his wish to sell land, and this fully accounts for Ngataua's refusal to allow me to go up the river.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, &c., &c., &c.,
Auckland.

Enclosure.

George Sisson Cooper, Esq., to the Civil Secretary, Wellington.

Mokau.—Reporting his Visit to that District. Taranaki, October 24, 1852.

Sir,—

In reference to your letter of the 23rd August, addressed to Mr. McLean, directing him to examine and report upon the land offered to Government by the chiefs of the Mokau District, I have the honor to state that, in the absence of that officer, I felt it to be my duty to furnish the report required by His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief, and I accordingly left this settlement upon the 1st instant in company with the Commissioner of Crown Lands, of whose advice and assistance I deemed it proper to avail myself.

Two Blocks Offered.

2. Upon arriving at Mokau and conferring with the Natives there, I found that the land offered in that direction consisted of two different blocks, the one on the north bank of the Mokau River, the principal chiefs by whom the offer was made being Te Watihi (Peketahi) and his brother Te Weitini; the second block, lying to the north of the above, with the river Awakino running through it. This block is offered by Takerei alone, to whom the conduct of the negotiation has been entirely given up. The enclosed sketch will explain the position of the land more clearly.

Mokau Block.

3. With regard to the Mokau Block, I beg to report that it consists of a piece of land of about two miles square, extending along the banks of the river to a stream called Manga-uira. The offer of this block, however, is subject to several reserves made by the Ngatipehi hapu, headed by the chiefs Ngataua, or Te Kaka, and Te Waru, the former of whom retains a piece of land called Te Kauri, consisting of about 30 acres, with a frontage of nearly a quarter of a mile to the river, and including almost the only available spot for commercial purposes, whilst Te Waru reserves 300 acres of the best cultivable land in the block lying at the corner of the northern and western boundaries. A large tongue formed by a bend of the river is also excepted on account of being an ancient burial ground; and two other small reserves, one of them comprising the greater part of the land now occupied as a mission station. In addition to the above, one of the sellers also claims the timber growing on a considerable piece of land, though he stated his readiness to let the land go, after his trees shall have been cleared off.

4. His Excellency will perceive from what I have stated above that the whole extent of land offered on the Mokau will not greatly exceed 2,500 acres; and that, deducting the reserves, a balance of about 2,000 acres remains. Of this quantity not more than 500 acres would be of any use to Europeans, and that in the least accessible portion of the block, the remaining land being very much broken and thickly wooded.

Too limited in extent.

5. I therefore at once told the Natives that I could not listen to the offer of such a small block, but that the boundary must be moved up the river to a creek called Mangaharakeke, about twenty-five miles inland, which was the spot pointed out by Mr. McLean on a former visit. I found that they were quite prepared for this, and they replied that the offer they had made comprised all the land they had a right to sell individually; and that the land inland of Mahgauira belonged principally to the Natives living in the interior, who were fully represented by Ngataua, and whose determination was not to give up any more land until the piece offered was disposed of and settled. Finding that they adhered to this determination, and as they positively refused to allow me to go up the river to see the chiefs in the interior, I at once broke off the negotiations, telling them, as they had made the offer in order to bring Europeans there, and as the Europeans had already plenty of infinitely superior land on which to go, that, until they sold a block which would offer some inducement for settlers to go amongst them, the Government would not listen to their proposals. I stated, however, at the same time that they need not consider my refusal as final until I should have received the answer of the Governor-in-Chief.

Evil Advisers.

6. The Natives have been induced to adopt this course partly from the advice of chiefs in the southern portion of the island, amongst whose names that of Rawiri Kingi (Puaha) was most frequently mentioned; but their conduct has been principally guided by the advice of a Mr. Hopkins, who trades with a small vessel from Mokau, where he has a house. This person told them that they were wrong to sell their lands, using the usual argument that they would become slaves te the Europeans, &c., and, finding that they were still determined to sell, he told them only to let the land go in small blocks, as they would thereby obtain a much larger payment for it; and he induced them, under threats of leaving the place altogether, to reserve for him about fifteen acres, at the Kauri, of the best page 361 land for commercial purposes, including a portion of the river bank where loaded vessels can lie alongside and discharge their cargoes as at a wharf. I received all this information from the Natives privately, but cannot see how at present any proceedings could be taken against this man, although the mischief he is doing is very great, and his presence is a nuisance to the resident missionary, because he is under the protection of the chief Ngataua, and he possesses considerable influence with all the Natives on the river; so that it would, I fear, be impossible to induce any Native to give such evidence against him as would support an information under the Native Land Purchase Ordinance.

Awakino Block.

7. With reference to the block offered by Takerei, I beg to report that no obstacles exist in respect to it. Still the same opposition was made by a majority of the Natives to my proposal to extend the boundary inland, and the result of the conference was the same as at Mokau. The quantity of land comprised in this block is about 16,000 acres, but it is, as will be seen from the sketch, a mere strip along the sea-coast, and the land is very broken and hilly, thickly covered with wood, and extremely difficult—in many cases impossible—of access. The reserves asked for were very small, and were in all cases left entirely to my discretion.

8. I took care to explain to Takerei that the acceptance of his offer would depend in a great measure upon the purchase of the land at Mokau, and that if Peketahi's party persisted in refusing to increase their block, it was most probable that His Excellency would refuse his offer, especially as there was a difficulty about extending the boundary so as to include the available land on the banks of the Awakino. Ta Kerei seemed greatly disappointed at this, as he has for years been extremely anxious to have Europeans settled in his district, and has spared no exertion in endeavouring to obtain the consent of the Natives to my proposals.

9. With regard to the question of price, I made no proposal whatever with respect to the Mokau Block, telling the Natives that when they offered a piece of land worth having it would then be time enough to talk about the price. With regard, however, to the Awakino Block, I think that, should His Excellency deem it advisable to continue the negotiations, it could be obtained for a sum of Five to Seven hundred pounds, paid in three or four annual instalments, but I thought the better course was not to press the question too much at that time, to, avoid in any way leading the Natives to calculate upon the land being purchased by the Government.

Instructions requested.

10. Having stated the above circumstances for the information of the Governor-in-Chief, I have now the honor to request that I may be favored with His Excellency's instructions as to whether I should continue negotiations for the blocks at present offered, or whether the extension of the boundaries inland should be made a sine quá non; also as to whether, in the event of Takerei consenting to extend his boundary to a distance corresponding with the Manga Harakeke stream, His Excellency would approve of my re-opening the negotiation without reference to a purchase at Mokau.

Recognition of Takerei's Services desirable.

11. Should His Excellency decide upon refusing these offers altogether, perhaps I may be allowed to suggest that it would have a good effect if some token of consideration were given to Takerei, as that chief has exerted himself to the extent of his interest and eloquence to obtain the consent of the Natives to a sale, and the disappointment to him will be very great indeed; and from his influence in the Ngatimaniapoto tribe, and the interest which they possess with the Natives in this district, from the fact of having conquered them and once occupied their lands, I fear that seriously to offend him would have a prejudicial effect upon the purchase of lands in this immediate neighbourhood, whilst the acquisition of any considerable block from Ngatimaniapoto, would in all probability affect the question very favourably.

12. I have only to add that on leaving the Natives I promised them that no time should be lost in informing them of His Excellency's decision upon their offers so soon as I should receive instructions from Wellington. I therefore beg most respectfully to request that I may be favoured with a reply to this letter as soon as possible.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper.

The Civil Secretary, &c., &c., &c.,
Wellington.

No. 15.

G. S. Cooper, Esq., New Plymouth, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mokau.Respecting Offer of Land.Land Purchase Department, Taranaki,13th December, 1852.Sir,

Adverting to my letter of the 31st of October last upon the subject of the offer of land made by the Natives of Mokau, I have now the honor to forward for the information of His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor the copy of a letter from the Civil Secretary conveying to me the instructions of the Governor-in-Chief upon the subject; and I at the same time forward the copy of the letter which, in obedience to those instructions, I have addressed to the chief Ta Kerei.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper.

Auckland.
page 362

Enclosure 1.
The Civil Secretary to G. S. Cooper, Esq., J.P., New Plymouth.

Mokau.Instructions as to the Purchase of Land. Civil Secretary's Office,
Wellington, 29th November, 1852.

Sir,—

Your report of the 24th October last on the block of land offered for sale by the chiefs of the Mokau District having been laid before the Governor-in-Chief, I am directed by His Excellency to inform you that it is not desirable that anything further should be done in this matter until the Natives are all agreed to dispose of the extent of country required by Government—the tract now offered being almost valueless—unless a considerable portion on both sides of the Mokau were added: thereto.

This course, it is considered, may be adopted without injustice to the Natives who have offered their land for sale, because all that was promised was that the district should be examined and reported on; which has been done. You, will, however, be good enough to write a letter on the part of Sir George Grey signifying His Excellency's approval of Ta Kerei's exertion to obtain land for Government, and his friendly co-operation with yourself.

That chief has also been appointed a Native Assessor, and the Resident Magistrate has been instructed to make him a small present.

I have, &c.,

Alfred Domett,
Colonial Secretary.

G. S. Cooper, Esq., J.P., &c., New Plymouth.

Enclosure 2.
G. S. Cooper, Esq., to the Chief Waitara Ta Kerei, Mokau.

Mokau.Offer of Land too Limited. Ngamotu, 14th December, 1852.

My friend Ta Kerei,—

The Southern mail has arrived and has been opened. It contained a letter from Governor Grey to me upon the subject of your offer, i.e., the piece of land offered by you all for the Europeans. You see the Governor's reply has proved to be as I told you—the offer is too small—Europeans would never think of going upon so small a piece of land. You had better therefore agree, the whole of you, men, women, and children, from the North, the South, and the interior—all the people—to extend the boundary to the parallel of Mangaharakeke, as fixed by Mr. McLean. Both sides of Mokau must be given up at one time, and then I will go down to Mokau and conclude the arrangements, that a town may be built at that place, that it may be cultivated by Europeans, so that the land may be improved; and that we all and our children may dwell together, and that we may grow and increase in wealth and strength as one people, and that our children may climb together to the summit of wordly prosperity.

My friend, this is another word of the Governor's for you. He is much pleased with your exertions to obtain a piece of land for his children, and with your friendly co-operation with me on my visit to Mokau. He has, therefore, been pleased to appoint you to be an Assessor for that district, to cause good to grow and increase, and to encourage just dealings; and, on the other hand, to put a stop to the quarrels and crimes and mischievous acts of ignorant men, and of the young men of the district. That is all.

From your sincere friend,

G. S. Cooper.

No. 16.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Cooper.

Auakino.Informing him of the purchase of land from Takerei. Mokau, 29th March, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acquaint you that the land offered for sale by Takerei has been purchased for a sum of Five hundred pounds, and another payment of Thirty Pounds to be made to the Ngatirarua tribe residing at Nelson.

These payments include the whole amount that the Natives are to receive for this purchase; the boundaries of which commence south at Purapura, thence along the sea coast in a northerly direction to Herekomako, and inland to the Manganui River till it crosses the Awakino, and thence along a boundary line that strikes the line running inland from Purapura. Any applications by Natives at New Plymouth, either for payment or reserves within the above purchase, you should not in any way recognise.

The best course, therefore, will be for you to refer them to Takerei or myself, stating, as your opinion, that nothing further can be paid, as the whole of the amount has been given to Natives here, who object to any other payment being made, particularly to the New Plymouth Natives.

I am aware that several applications will be made to you in reference to this land, therefore I take the earliest opportunity of communicating with you on the subject.

A copy of the Deed of Sale is being prepared by Mr. Rogan, which I hope may be finished, that it may be sent to you by this day's mail-carrier.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Land Commissioner.

George S. Cooper, Esq., J.P.,
New Plymouth.
page 363

No. 17.
The Chief Commissioner to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Awakino.Forwarding deed and translation. Land Commissioner's Office,
Kawhia, Province of Auckland, 1st April, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report to you, for the information of His Excellency the Officer administering the Government, that I concluded the purchase of a tract of land on the 28th ultimo, at Awakino, near Mokau, for which the Native claimants have been paid a sum of Five hundred pounds. I am in hopes that the purchase of this land from an influential branch of the Waikato tribe will tend to the acquisition of a large extent of country extending inland from Awakino towards the Waipa district. In order to facilitate the acquisition of this land, I have instructed Mr. Rogan, who surveyed the external boundaries and reserves in this purchase, to carry out the survey, and, to a certain extent, the negotiations for such further tracts as the Natives may offer for sale in that neighbourhood; and from Mr. Rogan's knowledge of the Native character and language, besides being an active surveyor, I feel certain that he will render material assistance in effecting this object: but, of course, his employment can only be regarded as of a temporary nature until I am further instructed by His Excellency the Officer administering the Government.

I herewith enclose a copy of the instructions to Mr. Rogan.

The Deed of Sale and translation are herewith transmitted.

In addition to the sum of Five hundred pounds, which was the lowest sum for which the land could be procured, a further payment of Thirty pounds has to be made to the Ngatirarua tribe, at Nelson, who also have claims to the lands purchased.

Hoping that the arrangements made in reference to this purchase will meet with His Excellency's approval,

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Land Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,
Auckland.

No. 18.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner H. T. Kemp.

Mokau Block.Its Purchase sanctioned. Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 20th October, 1858.

Sir,—

With reference to your letter (No. 31) of the 4th instant, relative to the price of the Mokau Block, containing by survey 7,225 acres, I have the honor, by direction of the Governor, to inform you that His Excellency has been pleased to authorize you to complete the purchase for the sum named by you, Two hundred and forty pounds (£240), which amount the Sub-Treasurer at Russell has been instructed to advance to you.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq., J.P., District Commissioner,
Bay of Islands.