Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Memorandum on report of messes, Davis and Mitchell by the under native secretary

Memorandum on report of messes, Davis and Mitchell by the under native secretary.

Bay of Plenty. 9th August, 1873.

I have read with much attention Messrs. Davis and Mitchell's report attached. I quite agree in every word they have said in respect to the difficulty which surrounds dealings in Arawa lands. It is the noisy disputes, extreme jealousy, and pertinacity of the different hapus which have in a great measure rendered the Native Lands Act inoperative.

It is satisfactory to see these gentlemen are fully alive to the difficulties which beset them, and it is hoped that this knowledge will be judiciously applied and prevent any serious complications.

The blocks of land that will require careful management are—

1.Puhirua and Mangorewa.—This belongs chiefly to the Ngatirangiwewehi and Ngatikereru hapus. The land on the north side of Mangarewa as far as Te Rerenga is, claimed by Ngatirangiwewehi and Ngatikereru, but disputed by Ngaitamarawaho, of Tauranga, and Tapuika; of Maketu.
2.Horohoro.—Is claimed by Ngatituara and a section of Ngatiwhakaue, but disputed by Tohourangi.
3.Ratoreka and Paeroa.—Is claimed by Ngatitu and Ngahuruhuru, of the Ngatiwhakaue, with whom are allied the Ngatitahuna, at Orakeikorako (over certain portions). This again is disputed by the Tohourangi.
4.Kaingaroa North; Te Whaiti, and Heruini.—Claimed principally by the Ngatimanawa but I believe Ngatirangitihi profess to have considerable interests in these lands.
5.Te Tohoroa, Patetere, Te Waotu.—Are claimed by the various hapus of Ngatiraukawa.

H. T. Clarke.

For the Hon. the Native Minister.