Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 10. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 10.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting Final Settlement of all Claims to Oruru. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 29th September, 1856.

Sir,—

I have much pleasure in reporting for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that the outstanding claims to the Valley of Oruru have been finally and amicably disposed of, and, as I have every reason to believe, to the satisfaction of the whole of the Natives concerned.

2.On receipt of the instructions which accompanied the sum of Three hundred pounds (£300) forwarded through the Sub-treasurer at Russell, I lost no time in proceeding to Mangonui and Oruru, where, having assembled the different claimants, they finally agreed, after a series of well-conducted discussions, to receive the sum of Three hundred and fifty pounds (£350) in full compensation for their claims to the Valley.
3.Pororua, who is a chief of considerable importance, and a lineal descendant of Hongi Hika, for several days insisted upon having a section of one hundred acres granted (100 acres) to him upon the same terms with Noble, the late chief of the Earawa tribes; and as he had already commenced to cultivate, it seemed to be for some time doubtful whether he would consent to receive a money compensation, although an additional sum of Fifty pounds (£50), authorized in the fourth paragraph of the instructions, was tendered to him. He; however, finally accepted the sum of Two hundred pounds (£200), the amount allotted to him, as a full compensation for his claims; and his immediate followers, who occupy but a small plantation (about an acre and a half) are under a written agreement to leave the ground so soon as they have removed their crops.

Two small reserves of about a quarter of an acre each, at the entrance to the Oruru River, have been set apart for the use of the Natives generally, near to the public road, as a convenience to travellers, and where they might also haul up their canoes while upon their trading excursions.

These reserves will be laid and mapped off by Mr White, who has also undertaken the survey of the external boundaries of the block, so soon as, the young chiefs deputed to accompany him have finished putting in their crops.

5.There were present at this meeting several influential chiefs from the north, with Busby, the successor of the late Noble Panakoreao. He. is a man of good standing, a friend to the Europeans, and his influence extends over a large body of Natives in the north. He. has suggested that the section of 100 acres granted by the Government to Noble, and now occupied by his widow and her attendants, should be purchased; if a favourable opportunity presented itself, with a view to the Valley of Oruru being left entirely to the Europeans, who may thereby be induced to settle in larger numbers.

Of Mr White's assistance, most kindly given, I was glad to avail myself. By his previous acquaintance with the details and bearings of these claims, a vexatious and troublesome, question has at length been finally and amicably settled.

I have,'&c.,

H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.