Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 13. — Mr Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 13.
Mr Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Recommending Purchase of Noble's Reserve. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, June 12th, 1857.

Sir,—

During my recent visit to the North, I observed a difficulty in which the settlers as well as the natives residing in the Oruru Valley are placed with reference to the occupation of a reserve which was made by the late chief Noble Panakareao, with the sanction of the Government, and, for which a Crown grant had, I believe, been given previously to the first settlement of the outstanding native claims in that district.

Allusion to this reserve is made in my report of the Oruru, dated 29th September, 1856.

2. The case seems to be simply this:—Noble leaves an infant daughter, his legal representative. There are also the immediate followers and servants of Noble who still reside and cultivate upon this reserve. They have been urged to move to their respective locations by the Government and by the chiefs, and it was agreed that they should have done so some timeago.

page 8

It is understood, however, that some of the settlers, whose interest it is to keep these people at Orurn, have since advised them to remain where they are, and the consequence is that the natives are in doubt as to which course it would he right for them to adopt.

Mr White, the officer of the district, has requested me to make a statement of the circumstances for the information of the Government; and, as the majority of the settlers are unwilling that any annoyance should arise between them and the natives, I would respectfully recommend for consideration that this reserve be purchased, if possible, from the native trustees; and the money invested in some more suitable manner for the benefit of Noble's child, if it were thought desirable by the chiefs interested. If this suggestion is approved, Mr White could soon supply a plan of the reserve, and furnish any further details you might wish for.

The section itself, being an extremely valuable one, would be very soon purchased, and the Government would be at once reimbursed in the outlay that may be necessary for the extinguishment of the native title.

I have,&c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.