Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 15 — The Chief Commissioner to Mr Commissioner Kemp

No. 15
The Chief Commissioner to Mr Commissioner Kemp.

To conclude Purchase of. Blocks near the North Cape. Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 21st December, 1857.

Sib,—

With reference to your letters (Nos. 57, 32) of the 7th instant, stating that the following sums have been fixed upon in payment for the several blocks the negotiations for which you were authorised to carry out in my letter of September 26th last, viz.—

Acres.£s.d.
1. Muriwhenua, South86,8851,10000
2. Wharemaru13,55540000
   Shipland2,482
3. Otengi2,72223000

I have the honor, by direction of His Excellency the Governor, to request that you will be good enough to conclude these purchases at the above-named rates, for which purpose the sum of One thousand seven hundred and thirty pounds sterling (£1,730) will be transmitted to the Sub-Treasurer at Russell, to be handed over to you upon you requisition in the usual form.

page 9

Yon will use the greatest care in making the deeds and translations as perfect as possible, and endeavour to render the arrangements final and complete. It having been observed that certain passages in the deeds transmitted, by you to this office are vague, and therefore objectionable, I have to request that you will adhere as closely as circumstances will permit to the form of deed used by the other Commissioners, which have proved to be intelligible to, and binding upon the natives.

A desire having been expressed by the natives to sell other and more valuable lands for immediate, occupation than those in the northern extremity of your district, you will be good enough to direct your attention to the acquisition of those lands which are more immediately required for settlement, without overlooking the offers of such larger and less valuable blocks that may be offered; but in every instance you should give prior consideration to such blocks as the Kawa Kawa, and others in that vicinity, which I understand the natives are anxious to dispose of.

I have, &c.,

D. McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq.,
Bay of Islands.