Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 20. — The Assistant Native Secretary (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Kemp

No. 20.
The Assistant Native Secretary (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Kemp.

page 11
Relative to Purchase of Noble's Reserve in the Orunt, Block. Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 1st August, 1859.

Sir,—

I have the honor to, acknowledge receipt of your communication, bearing date 12th June, in Which you recommend the purchase by the Government of the native reserve in the OruruYalley granted;to the late chief Nopera Panakareao.

In reference thereto I have the honor to inform you that His Excellency is not at present prepared to authorize the proposed purchase, but defers giving a final answer until further information shall enable him to form an opinion as to the expediency of the course recommended by you.

I have therefore to request that you will state more particularly your reasons for recommending the alienation of this reserve by the family of the late chief Noble: also to express the opinion of the Government that ample provision ought to be made in landed property to be secured to his heirs, and that it is not apparent why the Oruru is an unfit or undesirable locality for the purpose.

The annoyance caused to the European settlers through the irregular occupation of the reserve by Noble's followers might possibly be removed by leasing it for a term of years. Upon the expediency or otherwise of such an arrangement you will have the goodness to report.

I have, &c.,
Thos H. Smith,
For the Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq., J.P.,
District Commissioner, Bay of Islands.