Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 28. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 28.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

Negotiations for Block near the North Gape postponed. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 17th April, 1861.

Sir,—

In continuation of my report of the 14th instant, I have the honor to report, for the infor mation of His Excellency, that the remainder of the block of land near the North Cape, which has been under negotiation, has been withdrawn for the present in consequence of a disagreement between the native claimants; The terms proposed to them were these: That, if they required a Reserve for page 14their own use, the Government would have it surveyed for, them, and then to offer them a lump sum for the hlock. The necessity for an outline survey of the whole block being in this instance dispensed vrith, from the fact of its being clearly defined by natural lines, as well as by other surveys already made at the Government expense. This, claim, although of considerable extent is inferior inquality and not required at the present, time for settlers. Should the natives agree to our terms, I think it may be purchased for a reasonable sum.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.