Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 29. — Mr Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 29.
Mr Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Respecting Land offered for sale by Hone Heke. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 3rd February, 1863.

Sir,—

Referring to a letter addressed by the Chief Hone Heke to the Government, relative to the sale of a block of land near the Pupuke, in the district of Whangaroa, and to my report thereon, I have the honor to state, for the information of the Honorable the Minister for Native Affairs, that as this is the only extensive block between the Government lands already purchased within the district of the Bay of Islands and Mangonui, over which the native title has not been extinguished, it has been arranged, after a prolonged negotiation, to offer the sum of one shilling and three-pence per acre, which was finally agreed to by the principal chiefs, Hare Hongi, Paora Ururoa, and others. The survey of the block will be entered upon without delay, and shall be reported as soon as finished.

I have, &c.,
H. T.'Kemp, District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.