Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 34. — Mr. Civil, Commissioner White to H. T. Kemp, Esq

No. 34.
Mr. Civil, Commissioner White to H. T. Kemp, Esq.

Purchase of the Toatoa Block. Civil Commissioner's Office,
Mangonui, September 30th, 1864.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that I have made arrangements with the native owners of a block of land, bounded by the Maungataniwha west, Hikurangi and Otengi Blocks and the Parapara River, and called Toatoa, that it should be surveyed; and I have directed Mr. S. Campbell to perform that duty. It is to be divided into two blocks.

The northern part is to be sold by Henry Kemp and others; the southern part by Matthew Tauhara, Wiremu Pikahu, and others.

I have also purchased a small block of forty-four acres adjoining the Maungataniwha West Block, close to the Victoria Valley, it having been cut off by a road which I have had opened into the valley. For this I have paid the owners Five pounds ten shillings (£5 10s.). I considered it advisable to close this purchase at the request of a large number of natives.

I have taken a receipt for the money, and they will sign the proper transfer on your arrival here.

I have been applied to very frequently by the native owners of Poneke, Mangatete, as to when the purchase of that block is to be settled for. I have not received the survey, but I have lately written to the Government to forward me forms of deeds for Poneke and Tipene's Reserve, Waimutu, at Taipa, which I have recommended should be purchased.

I am anxious that you should come to this district as soon as you can, not only that you may conclude these purchases, but I am of opinion that the natives will sell portions of Victoria when these lands are paid for; and I am also desirous of introducing The Native Land Act, 1862.

I have, &c., W. B. White,
Civil Commissioner

H. T. Kemp, Esq,
Land Purchase Commissioner, Keri-keri.