Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 6. — W. B. White, Esq., Resident Magistrate, to the Chief Commissioner

No. 6.
W. B. White, Esq., Resident Magistrate, to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting Difficulties arising out of the Non-Settlement of Claims to Oruru. Resident Magistrate's Court, Mangonui, 25th June, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honor to call your attention to the very serious difficulties the settlers and resident natives at Oruru are subject to, in consequence of no steps having been taken to extinguish the claims of certain natives acknowledged by the District Commissioner, Mr. Johnson. When Mr. Kemp visited this district, he informed me that certain promises had been made to Tipene, by which his claim was computed at one hundred pounds; Pororua's is one hundred and fifty pounds, and Rarawa fifty pounds.

Tipene is constantly at variance with the people at Oruru, and is making vigorous efforts to return to settle there. Pororua the same. Between the two, the settlers are kept in a constant state of excitement, and a sense of insecurity very much cripples their enterprise. Moreover, a portion of Mr. Campbell's land has been occupied, but I cannot interfere in consequence of the unsettled question of payment.

May I request you will take the earliest opportunity of setting this question at rest, as it causes many disputes. One has lately occurred which the natives are apprehensive will lead to serious difficulties.

I have, &c.,

W. B. White. The Principal Commissioner,Land Purchase Department, Auckland.