Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Kemp

No. 8.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Kemp.

To Settle Native Claims. Chief Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 29th August; 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honor, by direction of the Governor, to inform you that His Excellency has been pleased to authorize the expenditure of a sum not exceeding three hundred pounds (£300) in the settlement of the outstanding claims to the Oruru Valley at Mangonui, and I have to request that yon will take immediate steps for the final extinction of these claims.

A warrant has been issued authorizing the Sub-Treasurer at Russell to pay the sum of three hundred pounds (£300) to you, upon your requisition in the usual form. You will, however, be good enough to abstain from withdrawing this sum from the Sub-Treasury, until the natives are prepared to receive it in full settlement of all claims, and to execute a document securing the Government from all future claims on the part of either of the tribes who are interested in the land.

You will have to account for this money to the Sub-Treasurer within one month from the date of drawing the advance by furnishing him with attested copies of the Native Deeds, and of this letter of authority.

This sum of three hundred pounds (£300) is the amount recommended by Mr. Johnson in his report of the 23rd February, 1855, and sanctioned by the Colonial Secretary's letter of the 7th of April following; but I perceive from your letter of the 12th of April last, that either a sum of three hundred and fifty pounds (£350) will now be necessary, or that a grant of One hundred (100) acres of land will have to be made to Pororua. I trust, however, that you will use your best exertions to effect the final settlement for the sum now sanctioned, and that you will use your utmost endeavour to avoid giving Pororua the land grant of one hundred (100) acres, as his retention of any land in the Oruru will, I apprehend, give rise to disputes with the Rarawa, which, in the final settlement now to be effected, should be carefully avoided. I conceive it would be more advisable even to, give an additional fifty pounds (£50) to Pororua, if you cannot settle it otherwise, than to make him a grant of land that may be a fruitful source of discord hereafter. In the event of your having occasion to pay fifty pounds (£50) beyond the sum now authorized, this amount may be disbursed out of the balance of One hundred and one pounds thirteen shillings and five pence (£101 13s. 5d.) you have in your possession; and, should it be impossible to effect a settlement without the one hundred (100) acres of land, you must have a conveyance from all the Natives concerned, giving up their entire interest and claims to the one hundred (100) acres in question in favour of Pororua.

I have no doubt Mr. White will aid you in carrying out the necessary arrangements with the Natives.

I have, &c.,

Donatd McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq., District Commissioner, Bay of Islands.