Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 9. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 9.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Requesting a further sum of Money on account of Oruru Claims. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 7th September, 1856.

Sir,—

I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter of the 29th inst., iu reference to the settlement of the Oruru claims.

It is not, I think, improbable that, owing to the decease of the chief Noble (whose assistance was very beneficial to the Government) subsequently to the arrangements reported in my communication of the 12th, April last, the position of this long-vexed question may in some measure become altered.

page 6

In anticipation of this, I propose to invite Tamati Waka to accompany me, if le conveniently can; and as he has considerable influence with Pororua's party, his services would be very acceptable, and be approved by His Excellency the Governor.

As you so fully concur with Mr. White and myself in withholding, if possible, the grant of any land in the Valley to Pororua, I would respectfully urge the propriety of having placed at my disposal, and without delay, an additional sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) to meet any new difficulties that may arise; and as by your instructions the sum of Three hundred pounds (£300) already advanced, is not to be withdrawn from the Sub-Treasury until the Natives have, in the first instance, signed over their claims, I shall proceed at once to the District to complete these arrangements if I can; and in the meantime I trust that a further sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) will be made available at the Sub- Treasury, in the event of its being required or any part thereof. You will no doubt see the policy of this arrangement when I add in explanation that the planting season has already begun, and the difficulties that generally follow, when the Natives obtain a firm footing on the land; Hitherto, Tipene's party have abstained from cultivating at Noble's request, and I am in great hopes of still finding it an open question, and if so, of bringing it to a conclusion, without much additional trouble and expense.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., J.P., Chief Commisioner, Auckland.