Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 19. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 19.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting on offer of Land at Kawakawa.District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands,, 8th June, 1858.

Sir,—

In acknowledging the receipt of your letter in reference to a piece of land tendered to the Government as a gift by the native Chief Maihi Paraone Te Kuhanga of the Kawakawa, I have the honor to report that I have examined the land in question, which is situated on the south bank of the Kawakawa River, and estimated to contain about seven hundred acres.

As a precedent, I could scarcely recommend the acceptance of this land as a gift, but I might suggest that, as negotiations have been entered into with this chief and his people for the purchase of the whole of the Buapekapeka Block, of which the above forms a part, it might then be very conveniently included, and a small sum allowed by way of compensation. This arrangement would, I believe, meet the wishes of all the parties concerned.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., J.P.,
Chief Commissioner, Auckland.