Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 23. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

page 30

No. 23.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Mokau Block.—The Survey has been completed. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 1st July, 1858.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to report, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that the survey of a block of land known as Mokau has just been completed.

It is one of the blocks already reported on as under negotiation, and is estimated to contain Ten thousand (10,000) acres, chiefly forest, comprising some very fine kauri and other timber. It is situated North West of Waimate, distant ten miles, with an available road.

It stands connected with blocks over which the native title has been extinguished, and is in every other respect a desirable purchase.

The Chief Wi Hau, a well known and useful servant of the Government is the seller; and as he is anxious to assist the Government in establishing a settlement here, I beg to recommend that I may be authorised finally to conclude this purchase.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.