Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 26. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 26.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

The price has been fixed for Mawhe Block. District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands, 2nd October, 1858.

Sir,—

I have much pleasurein reporting, for the information of His Excellency's Governments that the price of the Mawhe Kairangi or Lake Block has been finally fixed at Four hundred and fifty pounds (£450). Its position, the quality of the soil, and connection with other lands over which the native title has been extinguished, make it, I think, a desirable and valuable acquisition to the Governd-page 31ment, and the price to be paid as reasonable as might have been expected, taking the number of claimants and other circumstances into consideration, and one which, I have reason to hope, will meet with His Excellency the Governor's approval. The sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) has already been advanced through your office on account of this purchase, and I beg leave to request that the remainder may soon be furnished from Auckland, or through the Sub-Treasurer at Eussell, from the unappropriated funds now in that Officer's hands.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.