Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 28. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 28.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Report of Lands which it is proposed to purchase. District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands, 16th October, 1858.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to make the following report of the blocks of land it is proposed should be purchased by the Government, during the ensuing summer, in the District of the Bay of Islands.

No. Estimated Quality. Probable Price. Locality.
Acres. £
1 Puheke Block 3,000 150 District of Mangonui.
2 Kohumaru 4,000 200 District of Mangonui.
3 Maungataniwha 8,000 250 District of Mangonui.
4 Matawherohia 8,000 250 District of Whangaroa (south side)
5 Taraire (south) 4,000 200 District of Whangaroa (south side)
6 Western side of Lake Omapere 5,000 300 District of the Bay of Islands (western side).
7 Hauotapiri 3,000 150 District of the Bay of Islands (western side).
8 Kawa-kawa 5,000 350 District of the Bay of Islands (western side).
9 Ruapekapeka 10,000 350 District of the Bay of Islands (western side).
10 Puawa 1,000 100 District of the Bay of Islands (western side).
Acres, 51,000 £2,300

The outline surveys of the foregoing blocks will probably occupy the whole of the summer months, and during that time negotiations for additional portions may be going on. These, if kept steadily in advance, will furnish, I think, more than sufficient employment for a permanently attached surveyor throughout the year. The delay and uncertainty in the negotiations with the natives is not so great as it was and the terms under which the Government propose to deal with them for their waste lands are now becoming better understood: so that while the pre-emptive right of purchase is exercised only by the Crown, the extinguishment of the native title may go on uninterruptedly for some time to come in this district.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.