Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 4. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 4.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting negotiation for Ornawdke Block. District Commissioner's Office,
Waimate, Bay of Islands, 18th August, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for His Excellency's information that I have been for some time past in treaty for a block of land estimated to contain about seven thousand acres, known by the name of Omawake, an open, undulating country, with a small portion of excellent timber attached to it, but the soil, generally speaking, of an inferior description. Its position, however, and proximity to the harbour of Bussell, (being not more than twenty miles distant in a'Westeiiy direction,) point it out as a tract of land which it is desirable should be as soon as possible in the hands of the Government. It is, moreover, unoccupied by the Natives, is the key to the rich country skirting the lake Omapere, and would, if purchased, taken in conjunction with other blocks which have been, or may be hereafter, acquired, form an excellent site for an inland settlement.

After taking considerable pains to ascertain the nature of the several claims to ownership, together with a personal inspection of the land, I decided to offer the Chiefs concerned in the offer of sale the sum of Three hundred pounds, (£300) which, however, has been for the present declined.

I think, perhaps, that it would be unwise to press the matter, and that the negotiations may be suspended for a little time longer with advantage to all parties; and, should the Chiefs not accede to tLese terms, an additional hundred might be offered, if the Government would sanction my doing so.

The sum asked for by the Natives at present is Two thousand pounds (£2000).

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Commisoner, Auckland.