Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 40.]

No. 40.

Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Purchase of Whangai, 243. Acres; Te Rauri, 35 Acres. Land Purchase Department,
Bay of Islands,
10th February, 1864.

Sir,—

I have the honor to transmit herewith two plans named in the margin for the purchase of which the sum of two hundred and fifty (£250) pounds has been paid.

I beg to enclose, for the information of the Government, the copyof a letter in which Mr. Barstow was good enough to favour me with his opinion before the purchase was finally made. In that opinion I beg respectfully to concur, and trust that, the purchase of, these lots will meet with the approval of the Government, as it will be the means of giving additional value to the Kawa Kawa Block, and afford easy access from the harbour whenever it shall be settled upon.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,
Land Purchase Department,

Auckland.
page 36

Enclosure in No. 40.
R. C. Babstow, Esq., R.M., to Mr. Commissioner Kemp.

Respecting Value of Whangai Block. Resident Magistrate's Court,
Russell, 16th February, 1864.

Sir,—

I am somewhat puzzled to name what I should consider a fair price for Whangai. There are so many accidental circumstances to be taken into consideration, beyond the mere agricultural value of the land. I know that ten shillings an acre was offered them by a settler and declined. Of course the blocks, being already surveyed, enhances its value to the amount of cost of survey; then the whares, fencing, and clearing, in addition to its possessing by far the best landing and road for a large portion of the Kawa Kawa Block; I should estimate that an increased value of at least one shilling an acre would be given to quite 5,000 acres of that block by the Whangai piece belonging to Government, owing to the near contiguity of so much of it to the water-carriage, and a good sum would be saved in road-making; a great deal of future annoyance will be saved in the, way of cattle trespass when settlers shall have occupied that part of the country, by obtaining this piece which, from its being covered to some extent with grass, and well sheltered, will certainly tempt animals to it. I should think £200, or £250, would be a low price, if the land could be obtained for that sum.

R. C. Babstow,
Resident Magistrate.

H. T. Kemp, Esq., District Commissioner.