Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 45. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Hon. the Native Minister

No. 45.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Kahikatea Reserve.

Sir,—

District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands, 18th June, 1865.

I do myself the honor to report for the information of the Government that the sum of one thousand one hundred and six pound ten shillings (£l,106 10s.) was, on the 13th instant, paid to the native owners, for a portion of the block of land known as the Kahikatea Reserve, containing four hundred and eighty-six acres (486 acres), joining the coal-field at the Kawa Kawa.

For that part of the reserve comprising bush or forest, the sum of, three pounds ten shillings (£3 10s.) per acre has been given; and for the open fern or ti tree the sum of ten shillings (10s.) has been paid, being the sums respectively agreed upon before the survey was commenced.

I have already had the honor of explaining that the land in question has been purchased with the view to the efficient working of the coal-mine, and that the funds for the purchase have been supplied by the Provincial Government.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.