Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 6. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 6.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting Completion of Purchase of the Omaiuake Block. District Commissioner's Office, Waimate, Bay of Islands, 28th February, 1856.

Sir,—

Referring to my letter of the 18th August, stating the negotiations which' had been entered upon for a block of land known as "Omawake," containing about seven thousand acres (7,000), I have now the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor that the purchase lias been finally completed for the sum of four hundred (£400) pounds sterling, agreeably with the recommendation made in the letter above alluded to. The deed, which has been duly signed, shall be forwarded with its translation by the next conveyance.

Before concluding this purchase, I was anxious to bring together the principal chiefs concerned in the reservation of a wahi tapu, or sacred place (the only reserve in the block, known as the Wiroa), of some importance to the natives, which I succeeded in doing, taking advantage of a considerable meeting which took place a few days since, upon the occasion of their exhuming the remains of several influential chiefs for the purpose of removing them to their final resting place. The boundaries of the wahi tapu, or sacred burial ground, having been carefully marked off by the parties concerned, they left me free to treat with the proper owners of the land; and in doing so it has been the means of setting at rest a question which had, on more than one occasion, been the cause of dispute and' annoyance among the native claimants.

A reference to the position of this block has already been made in the report above mentioned.

Upon a more minute examination of the country surrounding it, I.think it will be found" eventually to bring into close, connection the important harbours and water communication of the Bay of Islands and Whangaroa on, the eastern side, and of Hokiahga on the west, more especially if I should succeed in acquiring the adjoining blocks known as Pirau and Mokau. The interior communication is unusually good for this country, and it also presents the advantage of being unoccupied by the natives. The district thus, described comprises the land from whence the three rivers emptying themselves into the Bay of Islands, Hokianga, and Whangaroa, take their rise, and adjacent, to which is the spot selected by Sir George Grey as an inland township, or military post.

Adjoining the block thus purchased for the Government is one which was originally acquired from the natives by Mr. James Shepherd, on behalf of J. M. Osmond, No; 333 G. As far as I can ascertain, the maximum grant for 2,560 acres has been made out, and issued to Mr.O[gap — reason: illegible]nond on the 22nd October, 1844, under a minute of Governor Fitzroy's, dated 12th September of tie same year. No survey has ever been made of this land, or boundaries defined of the quantity granted, by which to guide the Government, the claimant, or the natives. This is by no means an isolated case from among the claims scattered throughout this district.

So soon as the quantity granted to Mr. Osmond is selected and surveyed (which I think should be done with the least possible delay) I believe it will then be found that the surplus, together with what has now been purchased, will form a considerable block over which the native title has been extinguished, becoming at once the property of the Crown, probably to an extent of twenty thousand acres (20,000).

On the importance of having these surveys made I think I cannot speak too strongly; politically, it seems to be growing, into a grave question within which the interests of the Government, the settlers, and the natives are closely interwoven.

His Excellency will be glad to learn that I continue to receive the assistance of Tamati Waka, Mohi Tawhai, and other influential chiefs of this district.

I have, &c., H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

The Principal Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.