Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 8.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting offer, of Taraire and Whakapaku Blocks. District Commissioner's Office Bay of Islands, 13th April, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that two blocks of land have been offered for sale on the North and South sides of the "Whangaroa Harbour, page 23known as Taraire and Whakapaku, both, of which I have examined and ascertained the boundaries as laid down by the native sellers.

The block known as the Taraire, on the South, comprises both open and forest land (some very fine kauri), and is accessible by land carriage from the Bay of Islands, and by water from Whangaroa. It has good natural boundaries, no Native Beserves, is adapted for grazing or agricultural purposes; would furnish some very fine spars; adjoins land which is already in the hands of the Government, forming altogefcner a compact and valuable, estate. The portion offered by the natives may be estimated at from three to four thousand acres., This block might, I think, be purchased for Three hundred and fifty or Four hundred pounds.

The block Te Whakapaku on the North Shore is chiefly open land, with scattered portions of forest, is well adapted for grazing, is easily accessible from the Port of Mamgonui, would be very soon occupied as sheep, runs, and joins land exchanged by private owners wih the Government; estimated, to contain about three thousand acres, might, I think, be purchased for Three hundred pounds. Total, Seven hundred pounds sterling.

The principal Chiefs concerned in these sales are Tamati Waka, Ururoa, Hongi, Kingi, Wiremu Hafriro, Pakira, the sons of the well known Te Puhi, and several inferior persons.

These blocks were offered many months since, negotiations have been steadily going on, and no difficulties that I am aware of exist, for final completion.I. would very respectfully urge that these offers be accepted, and the money tendered to the natives as early as it may be convenient to the Government.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Principal Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.