Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — Lieut.-Colonel Mcdonnell to Mr. H. T Clarke

No. 5.
Lieut.-Colonel Mcdonnell to Mr. H. T Clarke.

Negotiations for Otangaroa and other Blocks. Auckland, 28th November, 1874.

Sir,—

I have the honor to state that I received your telegram in answer to mine of the 16th instant, respecting land negotiations at Whangaroa. I would have followed the advice contained therein had I known for a certainty-where Mr. Brissenden was to be found, or had I felt well enough to have undertaken the following of him up, and getting the money I so much required, and for the want of which I had to encounter much difficulty; but the probability would have been that, while employed thus, these blocks of land would have passed into the hands of private persons before I could have been in time to prevent it.

page 42

In October last I met some Whangaroa chiefs at Ohaeawai by appointment, and gave them a deposit of fifty pounds (£50) on certain lands. The price was left then to some future time.

Otangaroa and the Patoa Blocks, fertile-and well-situated land, were offered to me also; and which I agreed to take. Europeans about Mangonui, hearing I had been negotiating these lands for-Government, seem to have desired to possess them, and commenced to bargain for them. Receiving information in Auckland from natives employed by me to guard the interests I am dealing for, I saw the necessity of communicating with the Government and obtaining some money to proceed to Whangaroa with, especially as these two blocks are very valuable, and will become more so.

Upon my arrival at Whangaroa I sent a message to Mr. Clarke, surveyor, to come in; when that gentleman informed me he had been especially cautioned by settlers residing at Mangonui not to attempt the survey of Otangaroa and Patoa Blocks, as the natives had told them the surveyors would be shot, and that bloodshed amongst the natives would ensue, but that, at the very time Mr. Clarke was told this, the same parties were negotiating the land for others.

I had a long talk with the natives, and showed them the stupidity of listening to Europeans who only made a cat's-paw of them for their own interests; but to do justice to the natives, I feel certain they never entertained any of the designs attributed to them, but if they have said anything at all they have been required to say so for a purpose. I have desired Mr, Clarke to proceed, as soon as he has completed the block he is now on, with the survey of Otangaroa and Te Patoa. The principal owners have signed an agreement to sell to the Government as soon as it has passed the Native Land Court.

Not having any money to pay as a deposit on the land, I had considerable difficulty, and did not fix a price. I excused my being without cash as best I could, telling the natives I would bargain for the price per acre after the survey and Land Court is over:

The morning after the above arrangements were concluded, Mr. Simpson, a surveyor, called upon me,- and informed me he had been sent from Ahipara, and desired to come on to Whangaroa, and commence the survey of Whangaroa and Te Patoa. I sent him back at once, telling him the land was under negotiation for Government,- and that Mr. Clarke had instructions to survey it. I have put Mr. Simpson in the way of obtaining work further North.

I have estimated the acreage of Otangaroa and Te Patoa Blocks at 9,000 acres, but I am assured by Mr. Clarke that there will be a much larger area. The land is of good quality, and on the Patoa there is some very fine timber; the country is easy of access, and well adapted for immigration purposes and for settlement.

I have arranged for the Huia Block, of 4,000 acres, at Is. 3d. per acre. There is on this land some valuable timber.

The Unuhia Block, of 6,000 acres, for Is. an acre.

The Waitapu Block, of 2,000 acres, for 2s. 6d. an acre, but which I think I will be able to reduce to 2s. by-and-by.

And the Opuiti Block, of 150 acres, at 2s. 6d. an acre.

The £50 paid away at Ohaeawai is distributed for the four blocks of land named under:—Te Huia Block, 4,000 acres, £10; Unuhia Block, 6,000 acres, £20; Opuiti Block, 2,000 acres, £10: Waitapu Block, 150 acres, £10: total, £50.

I have, &c.,

Thomas McDonnell,
Land Purchase Commissioner.

Mr. H. T. Clarke.