Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 6. — Mr. Brissenden to Mr. H. T. Clarke

No. 6.
Mr. Brissenden to Mr. H. T. Clarke.

Hokianga Land Purchases. Auckland; 19th December, 1874,

Sir,—

I have the honor to report the purchase in the North, from the 3rd November to date, of the blocks of land a list of which I attach.

I find the natives are holding land firmer than on my former visits, and show considerable disinclination to sell, owing to the opposition offered to the Government by private parties: not that many of the Europeans are real purchasers; they oppose the Government on principle, trusting a day may come when, the present laws being done away with, they may be able to make their own terms with the Maoris.

I have not urged the natives to sell, but, on the contrary, assume a reluctance to purchase.

The lands secured on this last trip are a good average lot, closing in former purchases, and generally well situated.

Lands in the District of Whangarei are of a first-rate quality, but held at prices far beyond what it would be prudent for Government to give; but there are a few blocks near the town of which I expect to have the offer at from 2s. to 3s. per acre:. at these-figures they would be reasonable, This, district generally is the best and most flourishing I have seen in the North; but I must here mention that I consider the Upper Wairoa and Mangakahia Districts as thoroughly suitable for special settlements.

There are but few large blocks of land in the North unpurchased. I think about 200,000 acres of eligible land can yet be secured by judicious negotiation: the progress will be slow owing, to the blocks being small.

I have, &c.,

E. T. Brissenden.

Mr. H. T. Clarke.

page 43

List of Blocks of Land purchased for General Government from 3rd November to date.

• No. 1. Okaka, 1s, 3d. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 2. Waimatenui, 1s. 3rd per acre, Bay of Islands.
  • " 3. Otangaroa, 2s. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 4. Mokau, 2s. 6d. per acre, Bay of Islands,
  • " 5. Kioreroa, 2s. 6d. per acre, Whangarei.
  • " 6. Tokowhero, 1s. 3d. per acre,-Mangakawhia.
  • " 7. Tunapohipohi, 1s. 6d. per acre, Bay of Islands.
  • " 8. Mangakinga, 1s. 6d. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 9. Te Katote, 1s. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 10. Te Mata, 1s. 3d. per acre, Hokiangai
  • " 11. Te Whau, 1s. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 12. Pukebina, 1s. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 13. Whakarongorua, 1s. 6d. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 14. Taiha, 1s. 6d. per acre, Hokianga.
  • " 45. Whataipu, 1s. 6d. per acre, Hokianga.
  • Total acreage-of the blocks estimated at 50,000 acres.

E. T. Brissenden.