Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 7.]

No. 7.

Mr. Brissenden to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Hokianga—Transmitting Report of Land Purchases, Auckland, 30th December, 1874.

Sir,—

I have the honor, to forward you a memorandum report of lands negotiated by me for the General Government from March, 1874, to date, showing price per acre, actual moneys advanced on each block, and area so far as known.

I have also the honor to submit to you a list of1 blocks for which I am now in treaty with the owners.

The surveys of the blocks have been pushed forward with great-vigour by Percy Smith, Esq., chief assistant of Inspector of Surveys.

At the rate at which the work is now progressing the whole of the blocks will be finished before the end of the summer.

I have, &c.,

E. T. Brissenden.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Auckland.

Blocks under Negotiation.

Mangonui o Wai, of about 15,000 acres, now under survey by request of owners. This I believe to be the best block of-land in the Hokianga District.

Whangape, 21,000 acres, surveyed and through the Court. Much of the land on the rivers and creeks is open country and open bush land of very 'good quality; about 7,000 acres splendid kauri bush.

Pakiri. The balance of this block, 12,000 acres, I hope to conclude almost immediately. 20,000 acres purchased in March last.

Tihitihi Block, north of Whangarei. Mostly volcanic mixed bush land, estimated at 11,000 acres.

E. T. Brissenden.

Auckland, 30th December, 1874.
page 44

Memorandum of Native Lands Purchased for the General Government by E. T. Brissenden.

No. Name of Block District. From whom purchased. Price per Acre. Moneys advanced. Area estimated. Remarks.
s. d. £ s. d. Acres.
1 Ara Kiore Kaipara Paora Tuhaere and another 11 0 0 470 This block was purchased for £10. Interpretation of deed £1 (Mr. Woon). Crown grant.
2 Awarua Mangakahia Kauraki and others 1 6 15 0 0 Soil very good, open and bush. Survey completed.
3 Epakauri Mangonui Te Waka Rangaunu 0 4 70 0 0 Soil mostly indifferent, open and a little bush.
4 Kaiara Hokianga Ramaruru and others 1 0 10 0 0 Soil mixed character, part good bush.
5 Kauae o Ruruwhine Hokianga Rikihaua and others 1 3 75 0 0 (Whangape) soil tolerably good, timbered. Under survey.
6 Kahumaku Hokianga Te Whata and others 1 6 65 0 0 Soil first quality, timbered land; broken near Otawa. Survey to commence first week in January.
7 Kioreroa Whangarei Te Tatau and others 2 6 150 0 0 Soil very good in places; limestone; situation valuable, near the town of Whangarei.
8 Mataki Hokianga Perene Taonui and others 1 0 30 0 0 Soil indifferent. Bush and open.
9 Mangataraire Bay of Islands Te Whata and others 1 5 20 0 0 Soil pretty good, timbered. Survey completed.
10 Mokau Bay of Islands Heremaia, Te Ara, and others 2 6 20 0 0
11 Mangakino Hokianga Honi Mohi Tawhai and others 1 6 30 0 0 Soil tolerably good; mostly bush.
12 Ngatuaka Hokianga Wi Tana Papahia and others 94 0 0 1,700 Soil good, part open and grassed, part valuable bush. Surveyed, and through the Court.
13 Nukaka Mangakahia Pepini and another 2 0 30 0 0 Soil good, broken. By Colonel McDonnell.
14 Owhetu Kaipara Paora Tahane and another 100 0 0 520 Price for block. Part open and good, part bush. Crown grant.
15 Opuheteone Mangakahia Te Ware and others 35 0 0 Soil pretty good, bush, broken. Survey completed.
16 Oikura Hokianga Te Momohanga and others 1 6 100 0 0 Soil indifferent; mostly wooded. Survey completed.
17 One Hokianga Honi Mohi Tawhai and others 60 0 0 2,700 Old Native cultivations; soil very good. Surveyed, and through the Court.
18 One No. 2 Hokianga Piri Tera and others 1 0 5 0 0 Soil excellent; broken. Under survey.
19 Omataroa Hokianga Perene Taonui and others 1 3 30 0 0 Soil pretty good; timbered; broken. Survey completed.
20 Okonihi Hokianga Wiremu Titou and others 1 0 25 0 0 Soil excellent; timbered; broken. Under survey.
21 Opuiti Mangonui Wiremu Waihi and others 10 0 0 Price unfixed; soil indifferent; mostly open; near Whangaroa. Survey completed by McDonnell.
22 Orowhana Mangonui Timoti Puhipi and others 3 0 61 0 0 Soil good; bush poor; broken.
23 Otongoroa Hokianga Remi te Tai and others 2 0 50 0 0 Soil pretty good: timbered. Under-survey.
24 Okaka Hokianga Pere Taonui and others 1 3 20 0 0 Soil good; wooded. Survey completed.
25 Omahuta Hokianga Mohi Tawhai and others 1 6 250 0 0 Soil very good in part; bush heavy and valuable. Survey completed.
26 Opouteke Mangakahia Patuai and others 1 3 50 0 0 Soil pretty good; broken and timbered. Survey nearly completed.
27 Pakiri Kaipara Hori Te More and others 1,650 0 0 20,000 Soil mixed character; middle of block very good; some valuable bush. £800 held back till Court sits.
28 Pekapekarau Mangakahia Paora Kiwi and others 2 6 375 0 0 5,025 Soil pretty good; wooded. Survey completed; price reduced to 1s. 3d. per acre.
29 Pututumutumu Hokianga Honi Makoare and others 1 0 15 0 0 Soil indifferent; part open and good bush.
30 Puwhera Bay of Islands Mitai Pene Taui and others 0 3 45 0 0 Soil indifferent; open and bush. Survey completed.
31 Punaketere Hokianga Pehi Kuru and others 1 0 30 0 0 Soil, one-half indifierent, one-half tolerably good. Survey nearly completed.
32 Pakanae Hokianga Pairama te Tao and others 1 3 107 6 3 Soil very good; valleys open. Hill's Bush.
33 Ponewhenua Hokianga Piri Tera and others 2 6 5 0 0 Soil very good; open. Survey completed.page 45
34 Pukehua Hokianga Nikaera and others 1 0 15 0 0 Soil fair, part bush.
35 Rakauwahi Hokianga Arama Karaka and others 1 0 110 0 0 Soil indifferent, open and bush. Survey completed.
36 Taungako Kaipara Te Otene and others 306 0 0 3,300 Soil splendid. Babylon Block through the Court. Survey completed of all.
37 Takahue Mangonui Timoti Puhipi and others 2 4 575 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil very good in places; broken; generally bush. Survey completed.
38 Tautoro Bay of Islands Wi te Mara and others 1 0 55 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil part good, part indifferent. Some owners object to sale—will not allow survey.
39 Tutamoe Kaipara Parore te A wha and others 1 3 235 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil generally good, mostly bush. Survey nearly completed.
40 Te Huia Mangonui Wiremu Waihi and others 10 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Price to be fixed. Soil one-half good, one-half indifferent; partly timbered and broken. Survey completed by McDonnell.
41 Tukuwhenua Bay of Islands Te Hura and others 1 6 40 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil indifferent, open and bush. Survey completed.
42 Te Takanga Hokianga Wi Tana Papahia and others 1 2 62 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil very good in places. Part bush.
43 Tokawhero Mangakahia Heti te Hoora and others 1 3 30 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil good, timbered, broken. Under survey.
44 Tunapohepohe Bay of Islands Henare Hemoiti and others 1 6 50 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil fair and good, bush and open.
45 Te Katate Hokianga Wiremu Hau and others 1 0 10 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil fair part bush and open. Survey completed.
46 Te Mata Hokianga Wiremu Hau and others 1 3 40 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil fair, part bush and, open. Objection entered on score of encroachment by surveyor. Survey completed.
47 Te Whau Hokianga Wiremu Hau and others 1 0 56 3 11 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil fair, part bush and open. Objection entered on score of encroachment by surveyor. Survey completed.
48 Taihou Hokianga Hone and Pita Auehana 1 6 35 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil good, part open bush land.
49 Uwhiroa Mangonui Timoti Puhipi and others 2 4 425 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil good in places, bush and broken. Survey completed.
50 Unuhia Mangonui Wiremu Waihi and others 20 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Price not fixed. Soil good. Fronts on harbour, open. Survey completed by McDonnell.
51 Wharoro 1 6 10 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil very good, open and bush. Survey completed.
52 Waitoroto Hokianga Peruru Taorua and others 1 1 264 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil good in places, bush and broken. Surveyed and through the Court. £144 paid for surveys.
53 Waoku Hokianga Wi Pou and others 1 5 390 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil fair quality, timbered and broken. Survey completed.
54 Waoku No. 2 Hokianga 1 5 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil excellent, timbered, broken. Survey to commence in a few days.
55 Waipoua Hokianga Tiopira Kinaki and others 1 1 60 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil generally good, mostly wooded, part broken.
56 Waerekahakaha Mangakahia Paora Kiwi and others 2 6 90 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil good, timbered. Survey nearly completed. Price reduced to 1s 3d per acre.
57 Waimamaku Hokianga Hapakuku Moetara and others 1 1 100 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil generally good, timbered; part broken. Under survey.
58 Waitapu Hokianga Wiremu Wauhi and others 10 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Price, to be fixed by McDonnell.
59 Waihoanga Hokianga Aui Kohiti and others 1 1 35 0 0 Soil indifferent, bush and open. Survey to commence in a few days.
60 Waimatanui Bay of Islands Maihi Paraone and others 1 3 25 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil fair quality, timbered and broken. Survey to commence first week in January.
61 Waihoanga No. 2 Bay of Islands Pora, Wi te Wata and others 1 0 20 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil indifferent, bush. Survey completed.
62 Whakarongorua Hokianga Tupari and others 1 6 25 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil excellent, open and mixed bush.
63 Whataipu Hokianga Mo Whakaru, Tamete and others 1 6 100 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil very good, valley, open bush.
64 Mangawhero Mitai Pene Taui and others 1 0 15 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil good, timbered, broken. Under survey.
65 Ngapuku Hokianga Hapukuku Moetara and others 1 6 66 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil very fair, part open, part bush.
66 Pakeritu Hokianga Raite, Ngau, and others 1 0 25 0 0 I have not put in the estimated area. Twenty nine of the blocks are now surveyed, or nearly so; the balance will be in the hands of surveyors in a short time. I hope to be able to give the actual area in my next report. Soil one-half very good, and one-half indifferent. Under survey.
Auckland, 30th December, 1874.

E. T. Brissenden.