Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 34. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson, Whangarei

No. 34.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson, Whangarei.

As to Purchase of Land at Ngunguru.Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 25th September, 1856.

Sir,

I have the honor to inform you that Te Hemara, of Matakana, has called at this Office respecting the disposal of a block of land, which was offered for sale some time since by Te Manihera and the Ngunguru Natives.

page 73

As these parties appear to be particularly desirous of disposing of this land to the Government, I have to request that you will be good enough, at your earliest convenience, to ascertain the extent, position, and availability of the block, as well as the terms upon which it may be purchased from them so that there may be no unnecessary delay in complying with their wishes.

The Natives have been referred to you for the arrangement of this question.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq.,
District Commissioner,
Whangarei.

P.S.—Before entering upon the final settlement of any purchase, it will of course be necessary, first, to report your negotiations to the Government.