Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 37. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

page 78

No. 37.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Parua.The Survey of this Block has been interrupted. Parua, Whangarei, 7th April, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for your information that on the completion of the survey of the blocks at the head of the Whangarei river, I made arrangements with the Natives for Mr. Sinclair to survey the block in Parua Bay.

The survey was accordingly commenced on the 25th ultimo, and was being actively proceeded with, till the morning of Friday last, when a Native came suddenly before daylight, while the party were asleep in their tent, and pulled up the pegs, and with a drawn sword in his hand ordered them to quit the ground.

I had remained a week at Parua, on tke commencement of the survey, to see that all was going on right, and had just returned to Otaika when this happened.

The Native who has behaved in this way is Haimona Te Hakiro, an old chief, related by marriage to Mohi Tawhai, of Hokianga. He has always strongly opposed the sale of land, but I was led to believe by the other Natives that he had relinquished his opposition in this instance.

The Natives deny his hereditary right to any land at Whangarei; but however that may be, both Hakiro and his father before him, a Native of Pataua, have periodically resorted to Whangarei to plant and fish, which I consider to be quite a bona fide claim; and I see no other course open than to wait until Hakiro allows the survey to proceed; and I have told the Natives, that, although Hakiro is only one man, still we cannot force him to sell his claim against his consent, and that it rests with them to obtain it before I can allow the surveyor to proceed with the Parua Block.

Hakiro is the father of the young man whom Tirarau and George King spoke with at Cafler's, when you conferred with them on the subject of the Parua Block during your recent visit to Whan garei, and who was charged with a message from those chiefs to his father to cease his opposition, and it has quite surprised all the Natives, as well as myself, that this old man should continue his opposition, which we thought now would be at an end.

Every Native in this district is displeased with the conduct of Hakiro, and will most probably endeavour to turn him out of the country. This I will prevent them doing if I can, as it would be both unjust and improper for them to do so.

Pending the settlement of this difficulty, I have instructed Mr. Sinclair to proceed with the survey of the Tamaterau Block, situated between the Tawera Settlement and the Parahaki Block, already reported. This block includes the peninsula opposite Limestone Island.

Ngaitorowhare have settled their dispute with Tirarau, having conceded to that chief the boundary he contended for on the point opposite Limestone Island, which is so suitable for a township.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Commissioner N.L.P.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
&c., &c.