Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 40. — MR. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 40.
MR. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Parua.—Has made a Survey of part of this Block.Whangarei, 26th May, 1857.

Sir,—

With reference to my letter of the 7th of April last, reporting that I had been compelled to suspend the survey of the Parua Block, on account of the opposition of a Native Chief, and that I had directed Mr. Sinclair to proceed with other work.

I have now the honor to inform you that, although the attempt to obtain a large block has been for the present unsuccessful, by dealing with it in separate portions, the acquisition of, the whole will eventually take place; and that, through the influence of George King Tahua, I have been enabled to make a survey of the part of the Parua Block having frontage to Whangarei Harbour.

It contains One thousand three hundred and seventy-two acres, according to the enclosed plan.

George King Tahua and Te Hakiro, the Chief-who lately obstructed the survey, now offer it to the Government, and as it is an exceedingly valuable piece of land, and very much, desired by intending settlers, I would strongly recommend you to obtain the necessary authority for its purchase, for a sum not exceeding One hundred and fifty pounds.

This portion of the large block at Parua having been given up by the Natives to George King Tahua to satisfy his claim, the question will be more easily dealt with, and I have no doubt of being able to obtain the rest of the block from the Natives of Ngunguru and Pataua, who are now, holding back, lest King and Tirarau should appropriate too large a share to themselves in event of their making a sale in conjunction with those chiefs.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson.

P.S.—The expense of this survey has been only £7 14s. (the cost of the Native labourers employed), having been done by myself, while Mr. Sinclair was engaged in doing the Tamaterau Block.