Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 52. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 52.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Kaiawa.—Relative to Claim preferred by Hata Kingi.Whangarei, 22nd March, 1858.

Sir,—

With reference to the letter of Hata Kingi, which has been referred to me for my report, I have the honor to state that it refers to the Kaiawa Block, the money for which was paid to Tirarau, on the recommendation of the Chief Commissioner, who has confidence in the integrity of that Chief.

I would, however, observe that Tirarau is one of the most difficult Chiefs to deal with of any in the country; and every negotiation with him must be conducted in the most guarded and cautious manner, as when he once takes up a point he will not swerve from it on any consideration. And, in the present instance, the reason I paid the money was that he considered it had been promised to him by Mr. McLean (without reference to me) and he had stated this before all the Natives, and had also made up his mind to the disposal of it. Had it been withheld at my instance, he would have considered his dignity lowered,—he would not only have stopped the sale of the 1,372 acres, but also that of 10,000 acres adjoining it, the survey of which is now nearly completed, and perhaps put a veto on the sale of all the land in the district.

The money for Kaiawa has not been divided yet amongst the claimants, and Tirarau has neither told me or them what he intends to do with it. They are all submitting to this without a remonstrance, with the exception of Haimona Hakiro and his three sons, the eldest of whom is the writer of the enclosed letter. I consider their-claim to Twenty-five pounds of the £200 to be an equitable adjustment.

My own opinion is, that possession might be taken of the land, by Europeans, without any interruption on the part of the Natives, for their fear of Tirarau would prevent their taking any active measures; but, while this state of things exists, I cannot certify that the Native Title is extinguished.

Symptoms of discontent among the Natives with the conduct of Tirarau in various other matters besides this are becoming apparent; and I would recommend that, in any future dealings with him, the system of the money being divided amongst the claimants by the District Commissioner be adopted, as it has been in all the dealings I have had with other Natives, to the general satisfaction of all parties concerned.

I am informed that Tirarau proceeds shortly to Auckland to see the Chief Commissioner, when that gentleman or his deputy may be able to come to some satisfactory arrangement with him on the Parua question.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Thos. H. Smith, Esq.,
Assistant Native Secretary, Auckland.