Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 57. — The Assistant Native Secretary to Mr. Commissioner Rogan

No. 57.
The Assistant Native Secretary to Mr. Commissioner Rogan.

Whangarei.—Respecting Te Kiri's interference with Mr. John Suckley. Native Land Purchase Department, 27th August, 1859.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that Mr. John Suckley, a purchaser of an allotment of land at Omaha, within the Pakiri Block, reports that his occupation of the same has been interfered with by certain Natives not named.

As the interference referred to is probably the act of the Chief Te Kiri, who, as you are aware, claims a reserve at Omaha, I am directed by the Governor to request that you will proceed without delay to Omaha, in order to communicate with that Chief, and to enquire into and report on this case for His Excellency's information.

You will also be good enough to ascertain the grounds of the claim preferred by Te Kiri, and, if they appear reasonable, upon what terms he may be willing to treat for the satisfaction thereof, at the same time using your influence to induce him to abstain from further interference, and await an appeal to the Governor, founded upon facts not previously brought to his Excellency's notice. I have enclosed the former papers relating to the question for your information.

I have, &c.,

Thos. H. Smith.

John Rogan, Esq., District Commissioner,
Whangarei.