Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 6.]

page 58

No. 6.

Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Forwarding Deed of purchase, and Reporting on Mangawhai, Waipu, and Ruakaka.Whangarei,20th March, 1854

Sir

I have the honor to enclose the Deeds of conveyance from the Aborigines to the Crown, of the three purchases named in the margin, which will be now finally completed, if His Excellency the officer administering the Government should be pleased to approve of the measures which I beg to propose for arranging the obstructions which still attend them. It will be observed that I have included in the receipts attached to the Deed of the Mangawhai, the additional sum of Sixty pounds (£60), the outlay of which I reported in my letter of the 3rd instant. It became necessary to settle this demand of a chief named Paratene Taupuhi, who disputed a part of the boundary, after all the details had been arranged by a Committee of the Chiefs, and had nearly prevailed on them to break off the negotiations; but on consideration of the said sum of Sixty pounds, he gave a range of valuable kauri timber, part of which was included in the original boundary agreed upon, and part in addition of about 1,000 acres in extent, the particular portion alluded to being shown in the enclosed sketch of these purchases.

I had the honor to bring under your notice in my preliminary report of the 31st December last, the claim of the Chief Tirarau, for the sum of One hundred pounds (£100), over this block, as I then stated, for a battle fought between the Ngapuhi and Ngatiwhatua tribes at Ikaranganui, but which claim could not be sustained, as that place was not included in the present purchase; and I now regret to state that Tirarau urges the same claim, on account of a canoe upsetting on the bar of the Mangawhai river, in which a relative of his was drowned; a chief named Hikaotote, a brother of Parore.

The Ngatiwhatua tribes, the owners of Mangawhai, remonstrated with apparent justice, that as this catastrophe was occasioned by the sea, they would not submit to their land being taxed with it, and absolutely refused to sell their land subject to the condition of this payment, and I hoped that Tirarau would have relinquished this unreasonable demand; but, on the contrary, on my arrival at Whangarei he came over from the Wairoa to see me, and urged his claim with great firmness, threatening to burn the house of any settler who might go to the land, unless his claim is satisfied. From the well known character of this chief, I have no doubt but that he would attempt to put his threat into execution; and I would therefore bring this claim to His Excellency's favourable consideration, more on the ground of its involving the question of the peace of the country, than because of its equity. Notwithstanding this exaction on the part of Tirarau, which proceeds more from a species of native pride than from avarice, he is a chief well disposed towards the Government and the Europeans generally, and incongruous however as these circumstance may appear, he has taken the lead of the party in favour of selling their lands to the Government, and has offered a valuable tract of country for sale, extending into the centre of one of the finest districts in the colony, and which will be the means, I hope, of its eventually being all purchased; his influence is paramount in whichever way it is directed in this part of the island, and his good offices being obtained in our favour will materially assist the more firm establishment of the authority of the Government in these newly acquired districts, where the natives are not in such an advanced state of civilization, or so attached to the Government, as in many other parts of the colony.

I would next proceed to report upon the settlement of the two purchases named from the rivers which intersect them, the Ruakaka and the Waipu, which comprise a portion of the enormous extent of country claimed by Mr. Busby, and inhabited by that party of the aborigines who opposed the Government in the war in the North. The attempts of Mr. Busby to frustrate my operations, together with the efforts of a society which exists among the natives, at the head of whom is the widow of John Heke, for the purpose of preventing the sale of land to the Europeans, caused me much trouble and anxiety, and, as it may not be uninteresting, I beg to enclose a copy of a circular letter of the said society at Kaikohe addressed to the chiefs of Whangarei, which, by the native mind is considered a very talented exhortation, and which met with great applause when read at the several meetings of the claimants; and, had I adopted the usual and safer method of assembling all the claimants before making my payment, the influence of the before mentioned agencies would have been apt to have terminated in preventing the sale of the land; but, bearing in mind the strong desire which His Excellency had expressed to have lands obtained for the settlers, I felt assured that the Government would approve of my obtaining this tract of country, even at some further outlay, than of my relinquishing the attempt from the apparent difficulties which appeared to surround it; and, actuated by this principle, I accepted the offers of the chiefs who first came forward to sell the Ruakaka, and paid to them the sum of One hundred pounds (£100) for their claims, reserving the sum of Two hundred and fifty pounds (£250) to satisfy the other parties with whom I had not yet come to terms. This decisive step showed the opposition that, when the real owners of land are disposed to sell to the Government, it is not to be intimidated by the clamour of disaffected factions exercising very little, if any, ownership at all over the lands sought to be purchased; and, with the assistance of the chiefs Mate and Parihoro, whom, in anticipation of these attempts to frustrate my object, I had prevailed on to accompany me to Whangarei from Mahurangi and Kaipara, I was enabled finally to overcome these obstacles and bring this purchase to a conclusion, on the conditions that a certain portion of the block reserved by the natives at the Ruakaka be purchased by the Government for the sum of Seventy pounds (£70), that portion being the private property of the chief Mate, who resides at Kaipara, and which he does not choose to leave for the use of the Ruakaka natives; and as, being a new purchase, I propose to make it the subject of a separate communication.

With reference to the Waipu I adopted a similar course, and haying first ascertained by a careful enquiry that the chief Te Wiremu and party were the principal owners, I paid to them an instalment of Two hundred pounds (£200), they on their part undertaking to satisfy the claims of the chiefs

page 59

Tirarau and George King Tahua. Two other parties of claimants next appeared, and, their claims having been investigated and admitted to be just by the other parties, I paid to them a sum of One hundred pounds (£100), reserving the remaining Fifty pounds (£50) to meet any unforseen difficulties which might arise.

On the 17th instant a general meeting of all the claimants connected with this block was held at Otaika, in Whangarei, and, although the payments which I had made to the various claimants met the approval of this meeting, the chiefs Tirarau and George King Tahua refused the share allotted to them by Te Wiremu's party, and are not contented with the Fifty pounds (£50) at my disposal, but demand a further sum of Fifty pounds (£50), and also a chief named Pirihi urges a further sum of Ten pounds (£10) on account of relatives massacred on the ground. I do not think the nature of their claims, which are liens on the ground on account of their relations who have been killed on it by the Ngatiwhatua, entitle them to more than the Fifty pounds (£50) which I have appropriated to this purpose; but they are powerful chiefs and measure the value of their claim by their power to enforce its payment, and, looking to the future peace and prosperity of this part of the country, as well as the influence which these chiefs are able to exert over the future further acquisition of land, I do not believe that the expenditure of these sums of money will ultimately prove a loss to the Crown; and I have the most solemn assurances from the chiefs at the meeting at Otaika, that, if the demands are complied with, the undisputed possession of the land will be obtained for ever. Taking this tract of country or 22 miles frontage to the sea, and extending back from 6 to 10 miles inland, at a very moderate calculation to contain 100,000 acres, the amount already advanced, as per enclosed schedule, together with the sum required to meet the outstanding claims and new purchases, to satisfy the claimants, will not quite increase the average cost of these three blocks to the sum of Five pence (5d.) per acre.

I have, &c.,
John Grant Johnson,
Sub-Commissioner for purchase of Native Lands.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, &c.

Enclosure 1.

Tautoro, February, 1854, Office, of Korongohi and Kuao.

O Chiefs of Whangarei,—

Let your deliberations be guided by wisdom, and do not let your thoughts be averse to our word. The reason we so address you is because we have fought together (against the Europeans) for the land, which was the reason of the message we sent by the Maremare. Let the hill of Manaia stand for ever. Let the hill at Whara remain untouched for ever: vessels are broken, money is lost, but the land does not fade away. If we were wishing this land for ourselves, you might be displeased with us, but we wish you to keep it for a hearth for your own fires. It is the possession of our land which makes us esteemed. Whether a child, a woman, or a man, if the land goes into the possession of the Europeans, we shall not be so regarded; one man may be esteemed, and another may not. If the land is not given away, even the lowest among us can till his ground, and obtain tobacco and clothes, and all the other articles of the Europeans; but there is nothing that can be obtained from them without payment, nothing at all. Perhaps to the chiefs they may give something. What else have we to depend upon? Therefore we say—hold fast the land,—bye-and-bye we shall find what value it is, as we have been told by the Europeans who formerly lived amongst us. All the sea birds return to the dry land to hatch their young under the cover of their wings. It was never intended that they should be brought forth on the sea—not at all. Likewise the vessels, they return to the shore, and obtain their freight, potatoes, and corn, and pumpkins: thus this description of canoe obtains its cargo. Therefore we say the land is more of importance than us: it is above us, and we are its children. Pohe thinks otherwise,—these sentiments are wrong in his idea. Therefore we say to you, do not be angry with Sydney: these opinions are the grounds of his conduct, good or bad—hold the land, hold it fast; therefore he says—

(Here follows a popular War Song.)
To Maunsell,
To Stephen Hari,
To Amo,
To Kare Kare,
To Pohe.

Enclosure 2.

No Tautoro, Pepuere 18, 1854,

Whare Tuhituhi o Korongohi raua ko Kuao.

Enga Rangitira o WhangaRei,—

Kia marama nga whakaaro; kei pouri o koutou whakaaro ki to maua kupu, ta te mea maua. i pena atu ai ko koutou ko matou i whawhai tatou mo te whenua; koia ta maua kupu i maua atu na te Maremare. Koia tenei puke i Manaia, tu te ao tu te po; puke i te Whara, tu te po, tu te ao. Ko te kaipuke kua pakaru, ko te moni kua ngahoro, ko te whenua i kore i memeha. Ka patau he whenua mo maua, e kino ai koutou, tena he kaanga ano mo tau kapura, ma te whenua ka meinga he tamaiti, ka meinga he wahine, ka meinga he tangata; ki te riro i te Pakeha te whenua, e kore e meinga ko tatou, penei kotahi tangata e paingia, kotahi e kore e paingia. Tena ki te kore e riro te whenua, ka mahi page 60nga tutua ki te wbenua, ka tahi ka riro mai te tupeka, me te kabu, nie nga mea katoa a te Pakeha e mahue atu ana. Otira, hore rawa kia kotahi he mea homai noa, engari pea nga rangatira, kahore ranei. Mawai ranei ka tika ai te tikanga mo tatou? Koia maua ka mea atu nei, kia u mai; tena ano tona wahi e kite ai tatou i tona nuinga. E ronga ana hoki tatau ki nga Pakeha Maori o mua; ina hoki ko nga manu katoa o te moana e hoki ana ki te tuawhenua whakaimi ai i ana pi ki ana pakau, kihai i mea kia whanan ki te moana, kahore rawa. Ko nga kaipuke e u ana ki utu; ko ona utanga he riwai, he kaanga, he paukena, ka whai utanga tena waka, te kaipuke. Koia maua ka mea atu nei, ko te whenua kei runga ake i a tatou, ko taton hoki ana tamariki. Kia Pohe pea e he ana ki ona wha-kaaro. Koia maua ka mea atn nei kia koutou, kei riri koutou kia Hirini, no kona ano ana mahi kino ana mahi pai. Puritia mai te whenua, kia u mai; ina hoki e mea ana ia, "Ko te Puru, ko te Puru Tokatoka kia uwe uwe, a kia tutangatanga ai te riri ia. Ekore te riri e tae mai ki Kaipara, &c?"

Kia Te Manihera,
Kia Tipene,
Kia Te Amo,
Kia Te Karekare,
Kia Pohe.

Enclosure 3.

Schedule of Native Claimants to Mangawhai, Shewing Their Ground of Claim, and The Amount Awarded to Them.

Name. Nature of Claim. Locality. Amount.
£ s. d.
Parihoro Right by inheritance, being progenitors of the Kawerau tribe, who owned this part of the country The Arai, southern extreme of the purchase 200 0 0
Te Uranga Right by inheritance, being progenitors of the Kawerau tribe, who owned this part of the country The Arai, southern extreme of the purchase 200 0 0
Kiri Right by inheritance, being progenitors of the Kawerau tribe, who owned this part of the country The Arai, southern extreme of the purchase 200 0 0
Honi Tanga Right by inheritance, being progenitors of the Kawerau tribe, who owned this part of the country The Arai, southern extreme of the purchase 200 0 0
Te Tatona Right by inheritance, being progenitors of the Kawerau tribe, who owned this part of the country The Arai, southern extreme of the purchase 200 0 0
Kakano Right by inheritance, being progenitors of the Kawerau tribe, who owned this part of the country The Arai, southern extreme of the purchase 200 0 0
Putahi Maewa Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Matikikuha Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Paramene Karawai Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Mate Taupuhi Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Pita Wakapoe Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Toimaru Iraia Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Heremai Parata Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Nikora Pehimana Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Tahere Karore Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Te AwaitiTopa Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Tatona Manukau Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Himeona Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the owners of this Part of the country; also occupancy and possession to the present time. The portion to the back and the eastward and south of the Mangawhai. 360 0 0
Hone Ariki Wiremu Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Tipene Pehimana Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Mihaka Waitoitoi Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Te Kepa Korehuhga Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Hemi Tetaha Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Imimaira Ipamoka Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Anaru Te Awe Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Kaipaka Poare Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Wiremu Tamihana Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Tianui Pakeriri Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Paikea, Arama Karaka Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Hone Waiti Pueniko Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Taimona, Wetere Pou Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Puhipi Mekekati Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Tamati Taia, Te Whai Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Hemi Kawewai Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Wiremu Karaka Apo Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Matiu Kuis Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
Puriri Right of inheritance from their ancestors, the Ngaitahuhu, the original owners; also occupancy and possession to the present time Northern side of Mangawhai, Bream Tail, The Rao Rao and to the extreme at Wakatariki. 500 0 0
£1,060 0 0

John Grant Johnston,
Sub-Commissioner.

page 61

Enclosure 4.

Schedule of Native Claimants to the Ruakaka and Waipu, Shewing their Ground of Claim, and the Amount Awarded to them

Names of Claimants. Nature of claim Locality. Amount awarded
Pou Wi te Whai Descendants of the Raraku, to whom the lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka was given by Te Kahore, Chief of the District, also possession up to the present time. Lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka. 50 0 0
Heke Tahu Descendants of the Raraku, to whom the lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka was given by Te Kahore, Chief of the District, also possession up to the present time. Lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka. 50 0 0
Totara Wata Descendants of the Raraku, to whom the lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka was given by Te Kahore, Chief of the District, also possession up to the present time. Lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka. 50 0 0
Matiu Descendants of the Raraku, to whom the lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka was given by Te Kahore, Chief of the District, also possession up to the present time. Lower portion of the valley of the Ruakaka. 50 0 0
Te Mania, Wiremu Descendants of a family who were allowed to settle on Rangiora, and whose Chief was buried there. North-western side of Rangiora. 50 0 0
Karore, Patu Owha Descendants of a family who were allowed to settle on Rangiora, and whose Chief was buried there. North-western side of Rangiora. 50 0 0
Karaka Maki Descendants of a family who were allowed to settle on Rangiora, and whose Chief was buried there. North-western side of Rangiora. 50 0 0
Herewini Waitapu Descendants of a family who were allowed to settle on Rangiora, and whose Chief was buried there. North-western side of Rangiora. 50 0 0
Anaru Whetu Descendants of a family who were allowed to settle on Rangiora, and whose Chief was buried there. North-western side of Rangiora. 50 0 0
Mate, Maewa Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Ngahuru, Hone Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Putahi, Rongo Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Parata, Muru Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Kawanui Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Pera Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Pirita Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Pita Tawaiwai Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Potaka Desceudants of a Chief, named To Kahore, who, after conquest of the Ngaitahuhy, married a Chieftainess of that Tribe, and obtained possession of this District, and who have kept possession ever since. Part of the west or inland of Native Reserve. 150 0 0
Pirihi Ngapuhi, who have crossed the harbour of Whangarei, and hold by conquest possession of the north side of Ruakaka river. Side next Rangiors. 50 0 0
Paora Peu Ngapuhi, who have crossed the harbour of Whangarei, and hold by conquest possession of the north side of Ruakaka river. Side next Rangiors. 50 0 0
Ti Ngapuhi, who have crossed the harbour of Whangarei, and hold by conquest possession of the north side of Ruakaka river. Side next Rangiors. 50 0 0
Eru Toenga Ngapuhi, who have crossed the harbour of Whangarei, and hold by conquest possession of the north side of Ruakaka river. Side next Rangiors. 50 0 0
Te Rehe Inherited from his grandfather Ngaki, descendant of the Raraku Pohuenui. 50 0 0
And party Inherited from his grandfather Ngaki, descendant of the Raraku Pohuenui. 50 0 0
Tutahi Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Ponahia Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Wakataka Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Rameka Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Hei Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Mohi Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Hemara Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Rimi Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Whiri Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Ngahuru Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Te Whetu Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Patuhiwi Right by conquest of Waipu some generations back by their ancestor, Te Hakki, and undivided-possession held ever since. Waipu. 200 0 0
Hone Kingi Tipa Descendants of the Te Hahiki related to the Ngaitahuhu and Koriri, original possessors. Waipu. 50 0 0
Te Hu Descendants of the Te Hahiki related to the Ngaitahuhu and Koriri, original possessors. Waipu. 50 0 0
Te Rehe Descendant of Te Hakihi and Te Raraku. 50 0 0
£650 0 0

Fifty Pounds of the amount authorized for these purchases has not yet; been expended,—it having been used in the payment of the extra Sixty Pounds for the Mangawhai.

John Grant Johnston,
Sub-Commissioner.

Enclosure 5.

List of Further Sums Demanded by the Natives, to Complete The-Purchase Manga Whai, Ruakaka, and Waipu.

Name. Nature of Claim. Amount.
£ s. d.
Paratene Taupuhi For extension of boundary of Mangawhai, of 1000 acres, reported March 3,1854 60 0 0
Mate For portion of Native Reserve surrendered to Government, 1500 acres 70 0 0
Tiraran Claim for upsetting of a canoe on the bar of the Mangawhai, in which his relative was drowned. 100 0 0
Hori Kingi Tahua Claims fortheir relations killed in various encounters at Waipu. 60 0 0
Te Pirihi Claims fortheir relations killed in various encounters at Waipu. £290 0 0

John Grant Johnston,
Sub-Commissioner.